cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jdarr

OneDrive request approval for external file sharing

I need a an approval process for users to share with external or guest users. We can create a Form for users to submit for guest user access prior. I have successfully configured a SharePoint library for approval requests when sharing files, however, that is not exactly what I want to do. The workflow would be, when a user right clicks a file in OneDrive and clicks Share and they enter the user they would like to Share with an approval request is sent to their manager. Once approved, the link is active and the email is sent to the guest and the sender receives notice. To me it seems like an obvious Flow, am I missing something?

6 REPLIES 6
Pstork1
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

That should be a relatively easy flow to create.  The main issue is that you would need a copy of the flow for each user to activate on their OneDrive because the selected file trigger is specific to a single OneDrive or SharePoint site.  Something like this:

image.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
jdarr

That makes sense, I hadn't thought of it from that perspective. For the Create share link, what would the identifier be?

jdarr

Also, if you don't mind, what would the input type be and how would this flow be triggered?

I setup my sample to be triggered through a selected file.  You pick the file in OneDrive > Automate > flow

image.png

That opens a pane on the right side of the screen where you input the email address of the external person you are sharing with.  

The sharing link can be done by Path or Identifier.  Both are in the dynamic content from the trigger since its a selected file trigger.

johnjohn123
Super User
Super User

@Pstork1ok thanks for the reply.. but users can still share the file using the normal sharing capabilities and bypass the workflow?

Yes they can.  There is no trigger for when a file is shared.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (3,736)