cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MrNigel
Advocate V
Advocate V

Opening documents in Office desktop - NOT Office Online!

We have a doc lib configured to open documents in the client application - Word 2016.  If I click on the link from within the document library it opens Word 2016 correctly.  If I use Flow to create a Task and add the same link as a Word attachment, it opens in Word Online.

WordChoice.PNG

What am I doing wrong?  If I look at the options available from the flyout menu from the doclib I see that Word Online is the default.  Oh, how I miss those three year release cycles that included some QA led testing *sigh*

WordFlyout.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
v-yuazh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MrNigel,

I have made a test on my side and the issue is confirmed on my side.

If I click on the link from within the document library it opens Word 2016,however when I click the link of the file on other place, it would open in Word Online.

I afraid that we could only open documents in the client application in sharepoint document library currently.

And when click the link on other place, it would always open in Word Online and couldn't be configured to client application currently.

Best regards,

Alice

"I afraid that we could only open documents in the client application in sharepoint document library currently."

So it is a bug 😞  Have you any idea how this affects end-users who work in Office 2016 on a PC all day long?  Especially when they have to use the deprecated Document Information Panel to enter mandatory document metadata as defined by a Content Type?

What is the point in have a setting that allows Admin to specify 'always open in Office 2016' which doesn't work anywhere except from within a document library?  Where is the use case that says lets open in it Office Online when the same document URL is clicked on when sent as an attachment/embedded in a page/form?

Please can you suggest a workaround for this bug that allows for updating of content type metadata when using Word Online?  If I do File-->Info it just tells me to Edit in Word which  kind of defeats the whole object of opening it in Word Online in the first place.

Thanks

Nigel

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (22,444)