cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Order By ODATA Value in Sharepoint Get Files (Properties Only) - Folder Name or Path

I have a Flow that emails and HTML Table of all Files Created or Modified in all sub folders in the last 7 Days.  Flow works as designed EXCEPT, I want to order the output in the HTML table by the Sub Folder Name that houses the file, ascending order.

This would essentially group all the files by folder in the HTML Table.   Is it Possible to use the ODATA Orderby field to set the order of the data pulled by the folder path or folder name? 

Something to  the affect of "Folder Path asc"  I have tried countless variations of this and continually get errors stating the field/column doesn't exist  

SharedScreenshot - Flow 1.3.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

There are some hidden columns for the documents in SharePoint, among them 'FileRef', which contains the whole file path including file name. You can use that in the Order By, just put there:

FileRef asc

and it'll sort the result by folder(s), subfolder(s) and file name.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

There are some hidden columns for the documents in SharePoint, among them 'FileRef', which contains the whole file path including file name. You can use that in the Order By, just put there:

FileRef asc

and it'll sort the result by folder(s), subfolder(s) and file name.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi @STLMDV  & @tom_riha 

I just tried couple of options including the FileRef and it didn't worked as expected.  Initially I thought I could utilise FullPath which is the folder path but Filter Query only accepts a valid columns names.

Sorting array would have been a good option here but you could vote for this idea.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Ideas/Sort-Array/idc-p/486807#

Unfortunately you won't be able to do this via Power Automate Sort Order property.

You have couple of options:

Write a custom function and execute via HTTP but you need some dev effort to achieve this.

Other option is please below link it explains how to sort some numeric values. 

http://johnliu.net/blog/2018/12/how-to-implement-sort-with-microsoft-flow-in-3-actions-within-a-loop

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Power Automate Video Tutorials
Highlighted

Thank you so much, that did!

By Chance, do you know of link, document or method to lists these hidden columns?

Highlighted

@abm To me it looks fine, why do you think it's not working? Left side is using Order By = FileRef asc, right side doesn't have any Order By = sorted by defaut by ID?

image.png

@STLMDV for example here: https://dipansaha.wordpress.com/2012/07/23/useful-reference-for-sharepoint-internal-fields-name/

Highlighted

Hi @tom_riha 

Thanks for your reply.  Please see below.

image.png

Here aj is my library, x1 and a are the folders

The other question you asked about internal fields name. Here it is.

https://dipansaha.wordpress.com/2012/07/23/useful-reference-for-sharepoint-internal-fields-name/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Power Automate Video Tutorials
Highlighted

@abm I see what you mean, it's sorting by folder levels, and you'd like to sort it by the full path. I didn't see any issue because that's the sorting I expected.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,562)