cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SH2021
Advocate II
Advocate II

Outlook issue with contacts that have been assigned multiple email addresses with the create contact action

Dear Community

I am looping through one outlook contact folder, retrieved with "get contacts", and use "create contacts" in every iteration to replicate these contacts in a destination folder. In each iteration, I copy the data in almost all available create contact fields. Unfortunately, I run into a strange problem when trying to copy a second email address. In my latest trial, I created an array variable "emailadds", which is empty at the start of the iteration:

SH2021_3-1669730881859.png

It then collects the current contact's email addresses. If it collects none or 1 address, I add one (shown below) or two nonsese addresses afterwards to make sure that "emailadds" contains exactly two entries.

SH2021_2-1669730457691.png

Next, I add both entries of emailadds in the fields "Email addresses adress - 1" and "Email addresses adress - 2" using variables('emailadds')[0] and variables('emailadds')[1].

SH2021_1-1669730337780.png

The flow runs successfully and if I look at the output of the successful flow, I see exactly the two email addresses that I expect under "Email addresses". So far so good.

If I now open the destination folder in Outlook (my personal standard contact folder) something amazing has happened: every newly created contact contains all the email address, phone numbers, normal addresses etc. of ALL the contacts that I created in the flow, when I open this contact from the "Person" view. Opening one single contact can therefore crash outlook if I created many contacts in my flow, as each contact contains way too much information. Interestingly, everything seems normal if I open the contacts from the list view!

My problem is solved if I get rid of the second email address, then, every contact is created normally. Hence, this is what I will have to work with at the moment. Btw, adding an email address name does not change anything. 

Kind regards
Sean

PS: Ideally, I would like to have an action that enables me to copy full outlook contacts from one outlook contact folder to another, please support here: https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/forums/postpage/board-id/MPAForum/load-autosave/true.

PS2: I would not need this flow at all if Microsoft makes it possible to synchronise contact folders that are shared by others with me on my android and/or ios phone. It seems I can only get my own personal contact folder synchronised. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SH2021
Advocate II
Advocate II

I understand the problem now: Outlook is linking all contacts, hence adding the same "nonsensical" email addresses causes all the contact cards to mix up horribly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SH2021
Advocate II
Advocate II

I understand the problem now: Outlook is linking all contacts, hence adding the same "nonsensical" email addresses causes all the contact cards to mix up horribly.

v-liwei-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SH2021 

Glad to see you solved the problem. 

You could mark your answer/solution as a 'Solution' to allow more people with the same problem to solve their own problem as quickly as possible. 

Thank you so much! 

Best Regards,

Levi

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,194)