Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jbedfordp
Advocate II
Advocate II

Outlook "Get calendar view of events" order by odata error

Hi there,

I created a flow a while back to send me an agenda every evening for my next day's meetings. On 12/18 my flow started to fail with the following error:

The $orderby expression must evaluate to a single value of primitive type.

I noticed that I was using a deprecated "v2" version of the "Get calendar view of events" operation, so I replaced it with v3 but it continued to fail.

My "Order By" ODATA query statement previously was "IsAllDay desc, Start asc", but this no longer works (even when changing the case to be "isAllDay desc, start asc" according to the updated syntax) -- it results in the error above, about which I am not finding much info online.

Incidentally, I tried to add the two columns to the "Filter Query" ODATA query as some articles indicated that may be necessary, but I couldn't seem to get that syntax right, either -- I get "Invalid filter query" no matter what I put, so I'm guessing I'm way off on the syntax.

I was able to get the operation to stop failing by removing the "start asc" part of the Order By (so, leaving only "isAllDay desc"), which is kind of counter-intuitive. I also don't trust that the ordering will actually be correct, though, without enforcing the "start" order as well.

What am I missing here?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BeeBee
Advocate II
Advocate II

Ok. I found the solution.

Here's the examples that will work in the filter query:

Start/DateTime gt '2020-01-08T00:00:00'

If you need to use 'utcNow':

Start/DateTime gt 'utcNow('yyyy-MM-ddT00:00:00')'

Hope this helps!

View solution in original post

35 REPLIES 35
jbedfordp
Advocate II
Advocate II

Couldn't figure out how to just paste screenshots (sigh...), so here's imgur links...

The full flow: https://imgur.com/HYwO93Z

The "Get calendar view ..." operation configuration that works: https://imgur.com/xOTSEzE

Operation w/ error inputs: https://imgur.com/b5kHM7H

Operation w/ error outputs: https://imgur.com/syN2b1S

Text of the Output:

{
"status": 400,
"message": "The $orderby expression must evaluate to a single value of primitive type.\r\nclientRequestId: 45dcf805-dedb-4d7b-a508-6a5baf50f100\r\nserviceRequestId: f9060cee-2b1d-4537-9e84-6300b237aed0",
"error": {
"message": "The $orderby expression must evaluate to a single value of primitive type."
},
"source": "office365-eus2.azconn-eus2-01.p.azurewebsites.net"
}

This is where I got the idea about filters being required, but that's clearly not necessary due to the operation working with an Order By of "isAllDay desc" without any corresponding filter:

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/office/blogs/update-to-filtering-and-sorting-rest-api/

v-bacao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jbedfordp ,

When configuring the Order By field of the Get calendar view of events (V3) action, we can only configure a single field and cannot configure multiple fields for sorting.

230.PNG

When configuring Filter Query, we can use multiple fields as filters and combine them with and/or.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That's an unfortunate annoyance. This definitely worked in the V2 version of the action until 12/18. Why add this limitation?

Is there a recommended alternative method to sort this data?

Also, perhaps the documentation should be updated to reflect this?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/office365/#get-calendar-view-of-events-(v3)

ODATA orderBy queries do not have this restriction.

I tried changing the Order By to be only "start asc" (without the "isAllDay desc" part), and I got the same error as in my original post.

How do I properly sort in this Action by the events' start time?

While this may be part of the problem, I'm not sure it is the entire problem. I happened to have basically the same Flow for myself that has been working fine for months, except I only had a single orderBy defined - "start asc", and now suddenly I'm getting the same error as in the original post, beginning roughly around the same time. Interestingly, if I only pass in "isAllDay desc" as a test, the Flow runs fine, but if I pass in the orderBy filter I want "start asc" the Flow fails.

OrderBy Error.png

{
  "message": "The $orderby expression must evaluate to a single value of primitive type.\r\nclientRequestId: 8e393424-69a1-41e5-9c82-7f452467c39a\r\nserviceRequestId: 182c491f-8330-4224-bf8a-bf1d5eed5a42",
    "message": "The $orderby expression must evaluate to a single value of primitive type."
  },
  "source": "office365-wus.azconn-wus-01.p.azurewebsites.net"
}

I wonder if it has to do with the type/format of the "start" property? Perhaps the Order By can no longer handle whatever the datetime type is? Maybe there's a way to convert it to something sortable like a string or number...

I have utterly failed to get any kind of filter or orderby to work with start or end fields. I've tried every different syntax that I can imagine... with or without single quotes, with simple datetime formats, etc.

E.g., in the Filter ODATA query like: start gt 2001-01-01 or start gt '2001-01-01' or start ge '2001-01-01T01:01:01Z' and with/without the '.000' microsecond extension, etc. etc. etc.

Have gotten absolutely no date filters to work, so I have no idea what the syntax is supposed to be. 

Similarly, a simple Order By of start asc does not work, nor does Order By of start

I did find one article which perhaps is relevant? https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50930871/how-to-use-filter-in-microsoft-graph-api-to-get-sharepo... indicates that maybe these fields start and end need to be indexed in order to be filtered? I can't imagine I have the ability to add indexes to internal Outlook properties, though...

Hi @jbedfordp ,

Sorry, my previous statement was wrong. Order by supports sorting events based on multiple fields.

But there are requirements for the type of the field, as mentioned in the error message "single value of primitive type."

It seems that the start field is an unsupported type.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Is there a way to cast the datetime start field as a primitive? Or is there a recommended alternative way to sort the resultant array?

I see there is no generic "array sort" action in Power Automate -- that's disappointing. Some folks appear to have written their own array sort methods, but that's beyond my current level of expertise and time availability to customize and implement.

It'd be great if this just worked out-of-the-box.

@v-bacao-msft I don't understand why would this have worked up until a week or two ago then? It seems odd that it would have worked all this time and now suddenly can't be sorted...

Although I may have just answered my own question, it looks like in OData 4.0, DateTime is no longer a primitive data type, only Date. http://docs.oasis-open.org/odata/odata-csdl-xml/v4.01/odata-csdl-xml-v4.01.html#sec_PrimitiveTypes

"DateTimeOffset" is also listed as a primitive type. Is that not how Outlook Calendar stores its datetime data? I typically don't need decimal point precision on my meetings 🙂

Edm.Date

Date without a time-zone offset

Edm.DateTimeOffset

Date and time with a time-zone offset, no leap seconds

Possible solutions to this issue:

- Re-enable the sorting that worked prior to 12/18/19. Perhaps cast Outlook Calendar datetime values as datetimeoffset values by default in this Action?

- Offer an out-of-the-box Action to sort Arrays by their elements' properties. (Writing your own array sort algorithm is not a solution for a product that's supposed to make it easy for non-developers to develop workflows.) The Action could discover the "shape" of the resultset from a previous Action and then offer a dropdown of columns/properties and sort order. Ideally this would offer multi-level sort so that we could sort by "isAllDay desc, start asc, end asc" etc.

I do think that Microsoft updated the value data type and thats what affected everything including the V2 connector as well.  I'm having the same problem where it was working 12/16 and hasn't been used till today and discovered that it won't work on that.  Kinda funny that you can't order a simple date/time value.

ChadVKealey
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person having this issue. It's quite annoying that a breaking change like this would be put in place at all, let alone when there is no means of "fixing" it (ie: achieving the same functionality that was previously available in the application). 

If you have the means (permissions/access and knowledge), it seems an Azure function could be created to sort the data, but as mentioned by the OP, Power Automate is being sold as a "business user" application, and very few business users are going to have the means to create an Azure function.

It seems like there should be a generic "Sort array" action as part of the Data Operations connection, but there is not. There isn't even a "sort" expression. The only other option we're left with (which I'm going to try to implement myself) is to use multiple Get Calendar Events actions. In my flow, I'm getting events for the current date plus the next 3, so that'll be 4 actions instead of one.

Sounds like you're breaking it up to a day by day so it's intentionally sorting, not a terrible idea. My "flow" is based on a user defined date range from Form and then it goes to 2 calendars to get all the events and places them in excel and sends a copy of the spreadsheet via email to the requesting user. While Excel can sort, but not automatically as I've found upon opening it's still taking away a functionality. The only conclusion is that the date data type has changed to a non primitive data type. Likely an effort to conserve space or processing. I have considered writing it to excel then getting that same table as the table connector supports ordering on receiving. From there rewrite back to the table. An already cumbersome process taking about 10 minutes to write about 300 lines or more. There's a thought of writing the events to an array and also including a final column that would be the ticks() of the start date which I order base off of. But reorganizing the array in order based on that is where I'm stuck. Would have to be an old school programming and rewriting indexes based on that value. Something I want to avoid hoping Microsoft will realize their error and repair it quickly.

If it helps to devise a workaround, here is the format for the "Start" and "End" fields before & after December 18, 2019:

12/18/2019 & earlier:
"Start": "2019-12-18T14:00:00.0000000+00:00",
"End": "2019-12-18T15:00:00.0000000+00:00",

After 12/18/2019:
"start": "2020-01-06T16:00:00.0000000",
"end": "2020-01-06T16:30:00.0000000",

Thanks for this!

I'm attempting to utilize this to get the Filter Query to work in the Action, but haven't had any luck yet...

Variations I've tried:

start gt '2015-01-01T00:00:00.0000000'

start gt 2015-01-01T00:00:00.0000000

start Gt '2015-01-01T00:00:00.0000000'

start Gt 2015-01-01T00:00:00.0000000

start gt 2015-01-01T00:00:00.0000000+00:00

start gt '2015-01-01T00:00:00.0000000+00:00'

start gt 2019-01-01

start gt '2019-01-01'

start gt '20190101'

start gt 20190101

All of the above resulted in the following error:

{
"message": "Invalid filter clause\r\nclientRequestId: 35e0ac1f-f615-4678-92a3-8002a1924eab\r\nserviceRequestId: b39be6a9-e827-4691-bba2-ab4ac5f5dfc2",
"message": "Invalid filter clause"
},
"source": "office365-eus2.azconn-eus2-01.p.azurewebsites.net"
}

Shrug.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same boat as @ChadVKealey@ChadHaag19 and @jbedfordp. My flow takes events from my Outlook calendar, and pre-populates a new page in OneNote with meeting, location, and attendee information. Trying to sort "start asc" results in the same error everyone else is getting "The $orderby expression must evaluate to a single value of primitive type". Taking the raw, non-sorted output results in events appearing in some other order (likely creation date).

Helpful resources

Announcements

Exclusive LIVE Community Event: Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat with Copilot Studio Product Team

It's time for the SECOND Power Apps Copilot Coffee Chat featuring the Copilot Studio product team, which will be held LIVE on April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time (PDT).     This is an incredible opportunity to connect with members of the Copilot Studio product team and ask them anything about Copilot Studio. We'll share our special guests with you shortly--but we want to encourage to mark your calendars now because you will not want to miss the conversation.   This live event will give you the unique opportunity to learn more about Copilot Studio plans, where we’ll focus, and get insight into upcoming features. We’re looking forward to hearing from the community, so bring your questions!   TO GET ACCESS TO THIS EXCLUSIVE AMA: Kudo this post to reserve your spot! Reserve your spot now by kudoing this post.  Reservations will be prioritized on when your kudo for the post comes through, so don't wait! Click that "kudo button" today.   Invitations will be sent on April 2nd.Users posting Kudos after April 2nd at 9AM PDT may not receive an invitation but will be able to view the session online after conclusion of the event. Give your "kudo" today and mark your calendars for April 3, 2024 at 9:30 AM PDT and join us for an engaging and informative session!

Tuesday Tip: Unlocking Community Achievements and Earning Badges

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!     THIS WEEK'S TIP: Unlocking Achievements and Earning BadgesAcross the Communities, you'll see badges on users profile that recognize and reward their engagement and contributions. These badges each signify a different achievement--and all of those achievements are available to any Community member! If you're a seasoned pro or just getting started, you too can earn badges for the great work you do. Check out some details on Community badges below--and find out more in the detailed link at the end of the article!       A Diverse Range of Badges to Collect The badges you can earn in the Community cover a wide array of activities, including: Kudos Received: Acknowledges the number of times a user’s post has been appreciated with a “Kudo.”Kudos Given: Highlights the user’s generosity in recognizing others’ contributions.Topics Created: Tracks the number of discussions initiated by a user.Solutions Provided: Celebrates the instances where a user’s response is marked as the correct solution.Reply: Counts the number of times a user has engaged with community discussions.Blog Contributor: Honors those who contribute valuable content and are invited to write for the community blog.       A Community Evolving Together Badges are not only a great way to recognize outstanding contributions of our amazing Community members--they are also a way to continue fostering a collaborative and supportive environment. As you continue to share your knowledge and assist each other these badges serve as a visual representation of your valuable contributions.   Find out more about badges in these Community Support pages in each Community: All About Community Badges - Power Apps CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Automate CommunityAll About Community Badges - Copilot Studio CommunityAll About Community Badges - Power Pages Community

Tuesday Tips: Powering Up Your Community Profile

TUESDAY TIPS are our way of communicating helpful things we've learned or shared that have helped members of the Community. Whether you're just getting started or you're a seasoned pro, Tuesday Tips will help you know where to go, what to look for, and navigate your way through the ever-growing--and ever-changing--world of the Power Platform Community! We cover basics about the Community, provide a few "insider tips" to make your experience even better, and share best practices gleaned from our most active community members and Super Users.   With so many new Community members joining us each week, we'll also review a few of our "best practices" so you know just "how" the Community works, so make sure to watch the News & Announcements each week for the latest and greatest Tuesday Tips!   This Week's Tip: Power Up Your Profile!  🚀 It's where every Community member gets their start, and it's essential that you keep it updated! Your Community User Profile is how you're able to get messages, post solutions, ask questions--and as you rank up, it's where your badges will appear and how you'll be known when you start blogging in the Community Blog. Your Community User Profile is how the Community knows you--so it's essential that it works the way you need it to! From changing your username to updating contact information, this Knowledge Base Article is your best resource for powering up your profile.     Password Puzzles? No Problem! Find out how to sync your Azure AD password with your community account, ensuring a seamless sign-in. No separate passwords to remember! Job Jumps & Email Swaps Changed jobs? Got a new email? Fear not! You'll find out how to link your shiny new email to your existing community account, keeping your contributions and connections intact. Username Uncertainties Unraveled Picking the perfect username is crucial--and sometimes the original choice you signed up with doesn't fit as well as you may have thought. There's a quick way to request an update here--but remember, your username is your community identity, so choose wisely. "Need Admin Approval" Warning Window? If you see this error message while using the community, don't worry. A simple process will help you get where you need to go. If you still need assistance, find out how to contact your Community Support team. Whatever you're looking for, when it comes to your profile, the Community Account Support Knowledge Base article is your treasure trove of tips as you navigate the nuances of your Community Profile. It’s the ultimate resource for keeping your digital identity in tip-top shape while engaging with the Power Platform Community. So, dive in and power up your profile today!  💪🚀   Community Account Support | Power Apps Community Account Support | Power AutomateCommunity Account Support | Copilot Studio  Community Account Support | Power Pages

Super User of the Month | Chris Piasecki

In our 2nd installment of this new ongoing feature in the Community, we're thrilled to announce that Chris Piasecki is our Super User of the Month for March 2024. If you've been in the Community for a while, we're sure you've seen a comment or marked one of Chris' helpful tips as a solution--he's been a Super User for SEVEN consecutive seasons!   Since authoring his first reply in April 2020 to his most recent achievement organizing the Canadian Power Platform Summit this month, Chris has helped countless Community members with his insights and expertise. In addition to being a Super User, Chris is also a User Group leader, Microsoft MVP, and a featured speaker at the Microsoft Power Platform Conference. His contributions to the new SUIT program, along with his joyous personality and willingness to jump in and help so many members has made Chris a fixture in the Power Platform Community.   When Chris isn't authoring solutions or organizing events, he's actively leading Piasecki Consulting, specializing in solution architecture, integration, DevOps, and more--helping clients discover how to strategize and implement Microsoft's technology platforms. We are grateful for Chris' insightful help in the Community and look forward to even more amazing milestones as he continues to assist so many with his great tips, solutions--always with a smile and a great sense of humor.You can find Chris in the Community and on LinkedIn. Thanks for being such a SUPER user, Chris! 💪 🌠  

Find Out What Makes Super Users So Super

We know many of you visit the Power Platform Communities to ask questions and receive answers. But do you know that many of our best answers and solutions come from Community members who are super active, helping anyone who needs a little help getting unstuck with Business Applications products? We call these dedicated Community members Super Users because they are the real heroes in the Community, willing to jump in whenever they can to help! Maybe you've encountered them yourself and they've solved some of your biggest questions. Have you ever wondered, "Why?"We interviewed several of our Super Users to understand what drives them to help in the Community--and discover the difference it has made in their lives as well! Take a look in our gallery today: What Motivates a Super User? - Power Platform Community (microsoft.com)

March User Group Update: New Groups and Upcoming Events!

Welcome to this month’s celebration of our Community User Groups and exciting User Group events. We’re thrilled to introduce some brand-new user groups that have recently joined our vibrant community. Plus, we’ve got a lineup of engaging events you won’t want to miss. Let’s jump right in: New User Groups   Sacramento Power Platform GroupANZ Power Platform COE User GroupPower Platform MongoliaPower Platform User Group OmanPower Platform User Group Delta StateMid Michigan Power Platform Upcoming Events  DUG4MFG - Quarterly Meetup - Microsoft Demand PlanningDate: 19 Mar 2024 | 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Dive into the world of manufacturing with a focus on Demand Planning. Learn from industry experts and share your insights. Dynamics User Group HoustonDate: 07 Mar 2024 | 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM Central America Standard TimeDescription: Houston, get ready for an immersive session on Dynamics 365 and the Power Platform. Connect with fellow professionals and expand your knowledge. Reading Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Group (Q1)Date: 05 Mar 2024 | 06:00 PM to 09:00 PM GMT Standard TimeDescription: Join our virtual meetup for insightful discussions, demos, and community updates. Let’s kick off Q1 with a bang! Leaders, Create Your Events!  Leaders of existing User Groups, don’t forget to create your events within the Community platform. By doing so, you’ll enable us to share them in future posts and newsletters. Let’s spread the word and make these gatherings even more impactful! Stay tuned for more updates, inspiring stories, and collaborative opportunities from and for our Community User Groups.   P.S. Have an event or success story to share? Reach out to us – we’d love to feature you!

Users online (7,562)