cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outlook to MS To Do; how do I automatically set the due date based on date in email body?

Hi all,

I want a Flow that creates a task in MS To Do whenever I receive an automated email from our HR system. These emails get sent to me when a new employee is hired, and always include their start date in the email body.

I can't figure out how to get my Flow to recognize the hire's start date in the email body in Outlook and automatically set the due date in MS To Do exactly 7 days before it. Is that possible?

Thanks for your help!

Current Flow:

MS Flow 1.png

Template email that I receive (date highlighted):

MS Flow 2.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User II
Super User II

@JamesBowen 

Hi there!  So, short version is "Yes, that is possible in a few different ways".  Which way we go will depend on your comfort level with expressions.  Here are the high-level ideas:

• If you are comfortable with expressions, you could use something like Split() and/or Substring() to parse the eMail body on a consistent phrase or character count.
  • If you don't like expressions, you can use the new text functions (Find text position and/or Substring) to do pretty much the same thing.
  • If that doesn't sound like fun either, you can use a third-party tool like Parserr to build rules to parse out the information you need and present it as dynamic values in Power Automate.

Either way, keep us posted.

-Ed

If you liked this reply, please give it a thumbs up! If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Super User II
Super User II

@JamesBowen 

Hi there!  So, short version is "Yes, that is possible in a few different ways".  Which way we go will depend on your comfort level with expressions.  Here are the high-level ideas:

• If you are comfortable with expressions, you could use something like Split() and/or Substring() to parse the eMail body on a consistent phrase or character count.
  • If you don't like expressions, you can use the new text functions (Find text position and/or Substring) to do pretty much the same thing.
  • If that doesn't sound like fun either, you can use a third-party tool like Parserr to build rules to parse out the information you need and present it as dynamic values in Power Automate.

Either way, keep us posted.

-Ed

If you liked this reply, please give it a thumbs up! If this reply has answered your question or resolved your challenge, please consider marking it as a Solution. This helps other users find it more easily via search.

View solution in original post

Hi Ed,

Thank you for your response! I appreciate that you provided a few options for me.

While I'm not super familiar with expressions, I'm happy to do some exploration and experimentation to figure it out. If that doesn't go well, I'll try out Parserr.

Thanks again,

James

Helpful resources

Announcements
PP Bootcamp Carousel

Global Power Platform Bootcamp

Dive into the Power Platform stack with hands-on sessions and labs, virtually delivered to you by experts and community leaders.

secondImage

Power Platform Community Conference On Demand

Watch Nick Doelman's session from the 2020 Power Platform Community Conference on demand!

MPA Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the community blog page where you can find valuable learning material from community and product team members!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,557)