cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Chelsa
Level: Powered On

Parallel approvals, one email

I tried searching the baords, but haven't found anything that quite matches what I am looking for, so I am hoping to get some help!

I have an approval workflow that triggers on an item being created in a list (Change Request for Project Scope)

There is a condition applied after the trigger so that if a condition is not met, no approval workflow fires.

But when it does, I have two parallel approval flows (one for QA Manager, one for the Domain Manager). The rule is, if your CR has not been approved by BOTH approvers, you can't come to the Change Meeting. 

Rather than spam the user with an email for each approval (and potentially causing confusion cause they see one email that says "Approved" and assume that means they've met the meeting attendance criteria), I want one email to fire after both approvals have happened. 

Would I just have the two flows and underneath the two, a condition (if QA response = Approved), then another condition in the "If yes, then" section underneath (if Domain response = Approved) --> Action "Send an Email"? Would that work? If there's a sizable delay between when the QA person approves vs. the Domain person approving, will that cause the the flow to error out instead of sending the email?

Would it work better if I ended this first workflow after the New Item is updated with the approved/rejected responses, and set up a second workflow that fires off an email once the 2 approval conditions are met? Anyone got ideas on the best/most efficient way to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Parallel approvals, one email

Hi @ Chelsa,

Are the Approver under your SharePoint list the People or group type?

Using nested conditions should be able to achieve your needs. I have made a test on my side and it works well. The screenshot of my test as below:
1.PNG
2.PNGThe flow works successfully as below:3.PNG

In Microsoft Flow, there is a limit in run duration of a flow. The max run duration is 30 days. If the sizable delay that you mentioned within 30 days, the flow will work well. Otherwise, the “Start an approval” action will time out and may cause a time out error instead of sending email.

More details about limits of run duration of a flow, read the article as below:

Run duration and retention

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @ Chelsa,

Are the Approver under your SharePoint list the People or group type?

Using nested conditions should be able to achieve your needs. I have made a test on my side and it works well. The screenshot of my test as below:
1.PNG
2.PNGThe flow works successfully as below:3.PNG

In Microsoft Flow, there is a limit in run duration of a flow. The max run duration is 30 days. If the sizable delay that you mentioned within 30 days, the flow will work well. Otherwise, the “Start an approval” action will time out and may cause a time out error instead of sending email.

More details about limits of run duration of a flow, read the article as below:

Run duration and retention

Best regards,

Kris

Community Support Team _ Kris Dai
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Chelsa
Level: Powered On

Before this response, I did something very similar, expect instead of using a Condition, I used a "Do Until...".

For folks reading this thread, DO NOT use a "Do Until". Hahaha. There was a delay between the first and second approval of 2.5 days. The "Do Until" command essentially generated a new email every 60 minutes, so that when the second approval came in, it fired off approximately 62 "Your item has been approved!" emails to the submitter and the 2 approvers. 

I've now removed that and replaced it with a "Condition", and that seems to have done the trick! If I encounter any more issues now that this form is live, I will come back to update this thread 🙂

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,070)