cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jpope
Frequent Visitor

Parallel branches for multiple choice questions?

Hi all,

Total newbie here. I'm actually a graphic designer who had an idea, opened my big mouth in a meeting, and now has to make the idea happen. This is an entirely new world, and I'd appreciate your guidance. My problem centers around a multiple choice question on a form and parallel branching not performing as expected. Here's what I've done:

I've created a universal referral form which will use a flow to populate into a master Excel table. From there the info will copy into various dedicated Excel sheets; ultimately notification emails will be sent to the instructors of each topic. Here's how I've laid out the question in forms:

jpope_2-1650390689968.png

Each option that people select should be captured in its own Excel column with an 'X'.  I've set up a parallel branch for each option, and they look like this: 

jpope_3-1650391846333.png

Here's the problem. Testing shows that if one option is selected, it transfers to it's respective Excel column just fine. However, if more than one is checked, then only the 'Resume' column is checked. Here's the Excel table showing what I mean:

jpope_4-1650392478031.png

Any thoughts or ideas? I'm open to approaching this in a different way, but I crashed and burned with some of the other options I watched on YouTube.

I so appreciate any help you can give!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-yujincui-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jpope ,

Maybe you could try without parallel branches. You could use expressions instead of Dynamic content in Update a row Action.

I have made a test for your reference.

1. Here are my MS Form and excel table.

vyujincuimsft_2-1650620205338.png

vyujincuimsft_1-1650620191922.png

2. Here is my Flow.

if(contains(Dynamic Content,'Resumes'),'X','')

Result Screenshot:

vyujincuimsft_4-1650620423638.png

Best Regards,

Charlie Choi

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yujincui-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jpope ,

Maybe you could try without parallel branches. You could use expressions instead of Dynamic content in Update a row Action.

I have made a test for your reference.

1. Here are my MS Form and excel table.

vyujincuimsft_2-1650620205338.png

vyujincuimsft_1-1650620191922.png

2. Here is my Flow.

if(contains(Dynamic Content,'Resumes'),'X','')

Result Screenshot:

vyujincuimsft_4-1650620423638.png

Best Regards,

Charlie Choi

jpope
Frequent Visitor

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for your reply. My apologies for not responding right away--it came in while I was out of the office.  I'm back, and will be working with your suggestions this morning. For some reason, expressions have been difficult for me to parse (both currently and historically,) but I'm more than willing to give it another shot.

I shall report back!

-JoAnne

v-yujincui-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @jpope ,

Is your problem solved?

Best Regards,
Charlie Choi

Hi @v-yujincui-msft .

I just now finished. The info you have me was great, but my knowledge wasn't quite high enough to understand and use it properly. I've worked hard on that this week (logical expressions have always been very difficult for me) and I'm very happy to say that FINALLY I understand it enough to execute your suggestions. They worked well, and the main part of the flow is finished. 

Charlie, I really appreciate your assistance and patience! 

-JoAnne

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,740)