cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calvares
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Parse JSON error

I'm following this blog post to create a SharePoint group then assign permissions and users.

My flow fails at step 5 - Parse JSON.

Error message is: Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Parse_JSON_-_Owners' inputs at line '1' and column '16532': 'Required property 'content' expects a value but got null. Path ''.'. Any idea where I could be going wrong with it?

GroupsFlow.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
calvares
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I worked it out finally. In the HTTP request to create the group, I had to add "RequestToJoinLeaveEmailSetting": "true" in the body. 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Hardesh15
Super User
Super User

@calvares  when you use sample json which does not handle null value.

Please go through this post

https://www.google.com/amp/s/msolenacrm.blog/2020/07/06/power-automate-parse-json-action-with-value-...

Please 'Thumbs Up' the posts that helped you and 'Mark as Solution' if my post answered your question.

@Hardesh

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Double check that your HTTP request is actually returning data and not a null array.  This error complaining about a null Path usually means there is no data in the Body you are trying to parse.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.
calvares
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thanks @Hardesh15 - that's helpful. I might try option 1 as I don't need to generate dynamic content value.
Could you tell me where I would need to add the null value to this part of the code?:

"Owner": {
"type": "object",
"properties": {
"__deferred": {
"type": "object","null"
"uri": {
"type": "string"
}
}
}
}
},
"Users": {
"type": "object",
"__deferred": {
"type": "object","null"
"uri": {
"type": "string"
}

calvares
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

@Pstork1 Thanks, that was my first thought. However there is data in the Body of the HTTP request:Capture.PNG

@calvares  Run your flow and expand https action copy http action output and put this in parse json sample. Try this  and let me know.

Please 'Thumbs Up' the posts that helped you and 'Mark as Solution' if my post answered your question.

@Hardesh

calvares
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Still no luck @Hardesh15 . I identified a property that was coming up as null and tried option 1 and 3 from the post but get the same error. 

"RequestToJoinLeaveEmailSetting": {}

"RequestToJoinLeaveEmailSetting": {"type": [
                    "number",
                    "null"
                ]}

@calvares As expected. Please use in this way.

"RequestToJoinLeaveEmailSetting":

[

{

"type": "number"

},

{

"type": "null"
}

]

@Hardesh

calvares
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion @Hardesh15 but this didn't work on my flow, nor did any other attempts at getting rid of that null value. 

I do wonder if the issue is with the body of the HTTP request as @Pstork1 suggested, since that is what the error message suggests too. But I can't see how it could be turning up null.

Hi @calvares 

Check the response status code from the HTTP Post. You might be getting 202. The request has been accepted for processing, but the processing has not been completed.

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blogPower Automate Video Tutorials
calvares
Continued Contributor
Continued Contributor

I worked it out finally. In the HTTP request to create the group, I had to add "RequestToJoinLeaveEmailSetting": "true" in the body. 

View solution in original post

hiteshn
Regular Visitor

Hello,

I was having the exact same error mentioned here, although I was trying to parse the HTTP action output, error says that it is getting null for the content in Parse JSON action, since I found that I am getting the value in my http action then why it is null in parse json action.

The thing I tried is, I inserted body as expression in content field of parse action instead of inserting it as dynamic content and it is working now.

Thanks,

Hitesh Nagpal

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Please post this as a new question rather than a response to an already solved post.  You'll get more responses that way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Welcome Super Users.jpg

Super User Season 2

Congratulations, the new Super User Season 2 for 2021 has started!

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,568)