cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gmellis1
Level: Powered On

Parsing strings from a single field (delimited with semi-colon, no space), and then generating a DevOps task for each

I'm really struggling with the following scenario. 

I have a Work Item Type called "Onboarding" and it has various fields for scope of a given new project. 

I have a Flow that will generate an entire E2E program with parent-child nesting, etc, by generating a task for every elective scope item selected in one of the fields of the "Onboarding" WIT. 

It all works brilliantly. 

However, i have a request to split out one of those child tickets further (create a ticket for each string selected from a field called "Target Devices.").

I've been trying to work through it with the following example, but despite trying to mimic it, nothing seems to work.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/split-string-and-apply-for-each/td-p/40643

The "Apply to each" section is expecting an array of those attributes to key off of, but when i do runs, my Compose function is not generating any kind of array. Because the working portion of my workflow is large and has alot of company data, it would be unwise to try to share here. (I am a MSFT employee). 

Would there be someone i could reach out to directly within MSFT to work through this offline?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
gmellis1

Re: Parsing strings from a single field (delimited with semi-colon, no space), and then generating a DevOps task for each

Fausto,

I was able to sort it out by creating a sub-flow with just the section i was failing on, and go back through the documentation. I think my syntax on split had been wrong, but somehow the flow checker wasnt flagging it as faulty. Once i resolved the lack of a comma witht the following expression, it worked: split(variables('Roles'),';')

Thanks for the offer though. Was a good lesson in offloading sub-sections of workflow for rapid isolation and testing. 

Greg

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

Re: Parsing strings from a single field (delimited with semi-colon, no space), and then generating a DevOps task for each

Hi @gmellis1 

What do the strings look like in your "Target Devices" field? You don't have to post the exact strings, but just an example so we can have an idea of what you're working with.

Regards,

Fausto Capellan, Jr 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

gmellis1

Fausto,

I was able to sort it out by creating a sub-flow with just the section i was failing on, and go back through the documentation. I think my syntax on split had been wrong, but somehow the flow checker wasnt flagging it as faulty. Once i resolved the lack of a comma witht the following expression, it worked: split(variables('Roles'),';')

Thanks for the offer though. Was a good lesson in offloading sub-sections of workflow for rapid isolation and testing. 

Greg

Super User
Super User

Hi @gmellis1 

I'm glad you were able to sort it out. Cheers!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Flow Online Conference

Join us for a FULL day of FREE Microsoft Flow Sessions from some of the best minds in the industry!

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

thirdImage

New Flow Community Board!

Check out the new Microsoft Flow Community Blog Topic Suggestion board!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 91 members 4,461 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: