Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dan47
Helper III
Helper III

Pass “reference” data from a parent Flow to a child Flow

Hi There

I am trying to pass an Id information from one flow to another. This is important for it to work properly because I have a parent flow that adds a column to a sharepoint list with some outlook data. Then I have another "child" flow that gets some forms response data. I cannot match the list column with the outlook data with the forms data.

I found this online,

Pass “reference” data from a parent Flow to a child Flow – Something Awesome About … dynamics, crm, ...

but I don't know how to use the json action.

Can someone make an example?

Many thanks

Dan47

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The Get Items warning you can ignore.  Its just warning you that when you do a Get Items you are asking for a lot of data unless you apply some kind of odata filter.

The other error means that you changed the name or removed an action which created dynamic content that you are using in a Send an email.  That reference is no longer valid.  Check all the dynamic data you are using in your Send an email and make sure they all refer to something that is still in the flow.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

If all you want to do is pass the ID of the SharePoint item to the child flow you don't need JSON.  To pass the ID just pass the id value from the dynamic content as a text value. (Note: there have been issues passing integers and I'm not sure that has been fixed yet.) That's the first example in the article where they are passing the child flow.  Then when you get the ID in the child flow simply use Get Item to retrieve the SharePoint item using the ID as an index.

Dan47
Helper III
Helper III

could you please make an example what action i need to add in the parent flow and what action I need to add in the child flow. I can't make the manual button the trigger because my trigger is when a forms response is created.

I tried to do something similar like the first example but Power Automate has no idea what I am trying to do. I cannot save the action.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

If you aren't invoking the child flow directly from the parent flow then there is no way to pass information between them.  Its not a child flow if you are using a Form response trigger.  Your only option is to figure out some way to tie the form to the SharePoint list item by including some key from the list item on the form when it is submitted.

Dan47
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @Pstork1 

I am also open for another way to run the flow but I am unsure how to do it.

How do you get answers from a forms when its not the trigger?

I guess it will fail.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Let me ask a different question.  What is the connection between the SharePoint list item and the form being filled out?  You can use the regular trigger, but you need something that connects the two together.

Dan47
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @Pstork1 

I tried to do it different now.

I made a list view where the fields are not filled yet selected it for update item and filtered for Username before updating. If the Username matches and the field is not filled it updates the list Item.

Then I tried to save it and it gave me this error:

Dan47_0-1610692031186.png

I don't get it how my changes affect this send an email action.

Thanks for your help

Pstork1
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

The Get Items warning you can ignore.  Its just warning you that when you do a Get Items you are asking for a lot of data unless you apply some kind of odata filter.

The other error means that you changed the name or removed an action which created dynamic content that you are using in a Send an email.  That reference is no longer valid.  Check all the dynamic data you are using in your Send an email and make sure they all refer to something that is still in the flow.

View solution in original post

Dan47
Helper III
Helper III

Hi @Pstork1 

Thanks for the answer.

It worked.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

secondImage

Are Your Ready?

Test your skills now with the Cloud Skill Challenge.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (64,702)