cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MaxHeat
Regular Visitor

Passing variables to xpath

I am using Power Automate to call a restful api when an email alert comes into outlook. The api responds with an xml. I need to extract a value from the xml response based on a unique serial number that is scraped from triggering email and saved as a variable. I am trying to use xpath for this, but I can not figure out the syntax that will allow me to pass a variable into the xpath statement. To expedite testing, I have created and stored a standard xml in my flow:

xmlsnip.PNG

var1.PNG

I have read a ton of posts on all different boards and tried a ton of different things and I either get an empty data set or an "Invalid Expression" warning.

Here are some of the xpath statements I have tried, should return 2003:

xpath(xml(outputs('Compose_2')), '//book[author="+var1+"]/year')

xpath(xml(outputs('Compose_2')), '//book[author=string(variables('var1'))]/year')

xpath(xml(outputs('Compose_2')), '//book[local-name()=variables('var1')]/year')

xpath(xml(outputs('Compose_2')), '//book[author="string(variables.var1.value)"]/year')

This is just a sample of attempts, I have tried a bunch of different ways. I would appreciate any suggestions on this!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DeepakS
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @MaxHeat 

Here is an xpath example that you can use:

My Sample XML: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/ms762271(v%3Dvs.85)

Following xpath will get the Title by book id:

xpath(xml(xmlstring),'string(/*[name()="catalog"]/*[name()="book" and @id="bk102"]/*[name()="title"])')

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
DeepakS
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @MaxHeat 

Here is an xpath example that you can use:

My Sample XML: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/desktop/ms762271(v%3Dvs.85)

Following xpath will get the Title by book id:

xpath(xml(xmlstring),'string(/*[name()="catalog"]/*[name()="book" and @id="bk102"]/*[name()="title"])')

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

DeepaKS,

Thank you for your response. I am trying to pass a variable to the xpath because I need to be able to pull the "book" data based on a dynamic condition that is not known ahead of time. In other words, the required "book id" is saved as a variable and I need to pass that variable to the xpath to get the required "book" information.  Thanks

THIS DID NOT ANSWER MY QUESTION AND THAT IS WHY I DID NOT MARK IT SOLVED!!!!!

dchasanidis
Advocate II
Advocate II

Hello @MaxHeat ,

I was struggling myself too in order to find a solution for this. You should use concat() function to do the job for you.

Ironically, a string variable is not recognized by itself inside xpath segment, but can be used inside this function.

This is my example that worked:

Variable created name: Filter

Xpath expression: xpath(xml(body('Get_D365Configurator')),concat('//'variables('Filter')))

Please try it for yourself!

@dchasanidis 

You can also get rid of the concat function in your xpath expression by building the xpath in the variable.

For example if you have a string variable Path with a value of: 
//book[author="DynamicConent"]/year

Then your xpath expression in @MaxHeat problem would look like:
xpath(xml(outputs('Compose_2')),Path)

@csbarone16 

I am sorry for asking, but have you tested that? Because I tried too, but for some reason xpath couldn't recognize the variable correctly as a parameter. If it works plz make a reply in order for me to test it again.

Thanks!

@dchasanidisI did test it earlier today and it works.  Here is the sample I was running:

Flow1.png

The sample XML looks like the following:

Flow2.png

I made two variables in this sample, the first is just to show how I used a parameter in the variable that gets passed to the xpath function.  In my problem I was using a field from a SharePoint list, for this example I just made a string variable.  The Xpath variable named Path is what you send to the xpath function.

Flow3.png

The xpath expression looks like this:  

xpath(xml(outputs('Compose')),variables('Path'))

Here are the results

Flow4.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (3,047)