cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
P_D_G

Paste date in table created in previous step of the flow

Hello there,

I'd like to create a flow which works as follows:

I'd like to get one part of the data from a master excel sheet on a monthly basis and save this chunk of data in a separate tempalte file. I'd also like to rename this new file adding the timestamp. So basically at the end of the process I'd like to have 1 master sheet, 1 blank template file (which can be duplicated in every month) and 1 new file with timestamp which has the structure of the template and the data from master. The sheets are stored in a OneDrive Business folder.

I already have the pieces I'm just not sure how to put these together. So the logic I followed is this:

- extract data from a master excel file (node: List rows present in table)

- paste the data into a template file (node: Apply to each & Add row into a table) 

- save & rename the template

The issue is that I loose the blank template file so next month I cannot put data in there.

As a workaround I tried to duplicate the blank table in the flow before pasting the data from master but I wasn't able to use this newly created sheet as a reference of the paste part of the flow.

Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks for any help in advance,

PDG

7 REPLIES 7
Paulie78
Super User III
Super User III

Why not copy the blank template file to a new file first and then populate that one, instead of populating the blank one?

Yes, good idea. This is what I wanted to do as a workaround - tried to describe it here, sorry if it was unclear:

"As a workaround I tried to duplicate the blank table in the flow before pasting the data from master but I wasn't able to use this newly created sheet as a reference of the paste part of the flow."

Let's say I duplicate the sheet using the name with a timestamp. How should I tell Flow to use this file?

Thanks!

Wow, this is so much harder than I imagined. I've got it working, but it is not pretty at all!

Hi @Paulie78 ,

could you please share the details with me? I'm still struggling to figure this out and it seems that you managed to find a solution.

Thanks,

Yes, in a meeting for the next few hours but will write it up when I get back.

Hi @Paulie78 ,

sorry for picking this up again, I'd be extremely curious of your solution.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @P_D_G ,

I did build a solution, but I didn't post the details of it. It was flaky and not a good enough solution to post. It's actually a tricky problem. I didn't put any more time into finding a solution once the method I initially thought proved to be unworkable.

Sorry 😥

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

MBAS Attendee Badge

Claim Your Badge & Digital Swag!

Check out how to claim yours today!

Users online (48,973)