cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
P_D_G

Paste date in table created in previous step of the flow

Hello there,

I'd like to create a flow which works as follows:

I'd like to get one part of the data from a master excel sheet on a monthly basis and save this chunk of data in a separate tempalte file. I'd also like to rename this new file adding the timestamp. So basically at the end of the process I'd like to have 1 master sheet, 1 blank template file (which can be duplicated in every month) and 1 new file with timestamp which has the structure of the template and the data from master. The sheets are stored in a OneDrive Business folder.

I already have the pieces I'm just not sure how to put these together. So the logic I followed is this:

- extract data from a master excel file (node: List rows present in table)

- paste the data into a template file (node: Apply to each & Add row into a table) 

- save & rename the template

The issue is that I loose the blank template file so next month I cannot put data in there.

As a workaround I tried to duplicate the blank table in the flow before pasting the data from master but I wasn't able to use this newly created sheet as a reference of the paste part of the flow.

Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks for any help in advance,

PDG

7 REPLIES 7
Paulie78
Super User III
Super User III

Why not copy the blank template file to a new file first and then populate that one, instead of populating the blank one?

Yes, good idea. This is what I wanted to do as a workaround - tried to describe it here, sorry if it was unclear:

"As a workaround I tried to duplicate the blank table in the flow before pasting the data from master but I wasn't able to use this newly created sheet as a reference of the paste part of the flow."

Let's say I duplicate the sheet using the name with a timestamp. How should I tell Flow to use this file?

Thanks!

Wow, this is so much harder than I imagined. I've got it working, but it is not pretty at all!

Hi @Paulie78 ,

could you please share the details with me? I'm still struggling to figure this out and it seems that you managed to find a solution.

Thanks,

Yes, in a meeting for the next few hours but will write it up when I get back.

Hi @Paulie78 ,

sorry for picking this up again, I'd be extremely curious of your solution.

Thanks in advance!

Hi @P_D_G ,

I did build a solution, but I didn't post the details of it. It was flaky and not a good enough solution to post. It's actually a tricky problem. I didn't put any more time into finding a solution once the method I initially thought proved to be unworkable.

Sorry 😥

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

R2 (Green) 768 x 460px.png

Microsoft Dynamics 365 & Power Platform User Professionals

DynamicsCon is a FREE, 4 half-day virtual learning experience for 11,000+ Microsoft Business Application users and professionals.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (2,293)