cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jaco-Louis
Frequent Visitor

Planner guest task

Good day all

I have a flow with a "Create a task" action. The flow is able to create a task for a normal user of Office 365. The flow however fails when a task is supposed to be created for a guest user. The flow fails at the "Create a task" action with the following message: "Referenced User or Group (***@***.***) is not found."

The guest user is added as a guest in Azure AD. I am also able to manually create a task for the guest user in the planner where the flow is supposed to create a task.

Any advice as to how this can be fixed?

Kind regards

Jaco-Louis

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Re: Planner guest task

Hi @Jaco-Louis 

When creating the task using create task action, for the assigned user Ids property

You need to add the objectid of the external user in Azure AD

This is a Guid

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Dual Super User
Dual Super User

Hi @Jaco-Louis 

When creating the task using create task action, for the assigned user Ids property

You need to add the objectid of the external user in Azure AD

This is a Guid

Regards,

Reza Dorrani

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

View solution in original post

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jaco-Louis ,

As @RezaDorrani  said, please take a try to enter the Use Ids in the Assigned Use Ids field in the "Create a task" action to see if the issue still exists.

Best regards,

Alice       

Community Support Team _ Alice Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Jaco-Louis
Frequent Visitor

Good day all

I am not sure as to how to achieve this as I only have the email adress of the guest user. 

I tried getting the user id of the guest user from the "Get user" action from the Azure AD action in Flow, but I get the following error message:

InvalidTemplate. Unable to process template language expressions in action 'Get_user' inputs at line '1' and column '2658': 'The template language expression 'json(decodeBase64(triggerOutputs().headers['X-MS-APIM-Tokens']))['$connections']['shared_azuread_1']['connectionId']' cannot be evaluated because property 'shared_azuread_1' doesn't exist, available properties are 'shared_planner, shared_sharepointonline, shared_office365, shared_office365users'. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions for usage details.'.

Any advice as to how I can solve this?

Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jaco-Louis ,

Please use the "Get user profile" action of "Office 365 Users" connector to get the user id.

1.png

Best regards,

Alice       

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Jaco-Louis
Frequent Visitor

Good day

Thank you for the feedback. I tried the "Get user profile" of Office 365 as well. It fails with the following message:

{
"error": {
"code": "Request_ResourceNotFound",
"message": "Resource '****_***.***' does not exist or one of its queried reference-property objects are not present.",
"innerError": {

The user exists in the Azure AD, but not in Office 365 users when using the O365 portal. Something that I do notice is that the email is entered correctly, but the error message above changes the '@' symbol to '_'. Could that be a possible cause for the problem?
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Jaco-Louis ,

Could you please share a screenshot of the your flow and the run details of the flow when it is failed?

Best regards,

Alice       

Jaco-Louis
Frequent Visitor

Good day @v-alzhan-msft 

Thank you for the feedback. Here are the screenshots:

1.PNG2.PNG

Note how the email adress is entered as ***@gmail.com but is changed to ***_gmail.com

3.PNG

JSizzle
Frequent Visitor

@Jaco-Louis, did you get this problem resolved?  I'm having the same problem in a Flow I just created and can't seem to find a solution.  As you said, everything works well for licensed O365 users, and although my guest user is in Azure AD, Flow can't seem to find him to assign the task to him.

Jaco-Louis
Frequent Visitor

@JSizzle unfortunately no solution yet. Perhaps we should then create a bug for this, as more than one user has experienced this issue?

JSizzle
Frequent Visitor

I'm definitely in favor of that idea.  Would you like to take the initiative to file a bug report or should I?  Either way is good with me.

Jaco-Louis
Frequent Visitor

@JSizzle would you please create the bug? Please send the URL and I will definitely upvote the bug.

JSizzle
Frequent Visitor

Highlighted
JSizzle
Frequent Visitor

@Jaco-Louis and all...I input a ticket regarding this issue to Microsoft Support and received a very helpful reply from a Microsoft engineer.  I just finished adapting the Flow information he sent me to our environment, and everything works perfectly, including assigning tasks to guest users.

As noted in the screenshot below that the engineer sent me, the key was to create an O365 group in Azure AD with all our employees, including the guest users.  Then use the "Get group members" Flow function for that group, and filter that group for the specific user you're looking for.  So for us, I setup the filter array to only create a task when the name of the user selected in the input form equals the display name of the user record in Azure AD.  You can also change this to accommodate e-mail address, first name, last name, or other fields available in Azure to make the comparison, but for our purposes I used display name and then changed the Azure AD records of the guests to the user's names.

thumbnail_image003.jpg

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons released on April 21!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power Automate Community!

firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Users online (6,112)