cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wowdataio
Regular Visitor

Planner to Excel

Hi everyone,

New to Power Automate so struggling a little.

So this is what I want to do:

I want to send a Planner Task details to Excel Online when a new task is created.

So in Flow I need to extract the following fields from the newly created Planner Task:

Title

Start date

Due date

Description

I have added the Trigger 'When a task is created' - so far so good. The Flow picks that New Task up.

But the problem I am having is getting the Start date and Due date. Because when you Add a Task to Planner you then have to go into the Task you just created to set the Start date.

I thought a solution might be to add a Delay of 5 mins after the Trigger 'When a task is created'. Because I am guessing when you add a Task to Planner the Flow runs instantly so how would the Flow pick out this other information (Start date + Due date)?

I hope that makes some sort of sense lol.

Many thanks.

Shaun.

3 REPLIES 3
efialttes
Super User
Super User

Hi!

"I am guessing when you add a Task to Planner the Flow runs instantly so how would the Flow pick out this other information (Start date + Due date)?"

I guess it depends on the way you create the planner task, but in some circumstances you will get Due Date empty... and unfortunatelly there is not any "When a task is created or modified" trigger

Did you consider an alternate approach? THat is, to have a recurrence trigger executed daily (at night), now list tasks, for those that are not yet in your Excel, add them. Does it match with your requirements?

Some threads on this approach in this same community

Hope his helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Hey!

Thanks for getting back to me so fast! Ahhh I see. I have been messing around trying to get it to work with trial and error lol. Not knowing it cant really be done.

That seems like a good solution though. So you can set up the recurrence trigger to only add those TAsks which have not been already added to my Excel?

Many thanks.

Shaun.

Hi!

You can set the recurrence trigger to be executed every hour, or daily, weekly...

Now I am assuming you stored in every excel row the corresponding Task Id in an specific column

1.-You get all Planner tasks by means of 'List tasks'

2.-You get all Excel rows by means og 'List rows present in a table'

3.-NExt, you iterate all through your 'Lists tasks' output by means of an 'Apply to each'

INside the 'Apply to each':

-you add a 'Filter Array' action block, assign as its input 'List rows present in a table' output. Now, the condition of 'Filter Array' shall evaluate if Planner 'Task Id' matches with Excel 'Task Id column' value, you can add them from Dynamic Content menu.

-you add a Condition action block, to evaluate nr of elements in "Filter array" output, If nr equals 0, this means Task is not yet exported to Excel. Assuming you used the english default name suggested by Flow editor for 'Filter Array' ,  add the following expression on the left term:

length(body('Filter_array'))

Several threads discussing this approach, one of them here -more complex than the text description I provided-

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Updating-excel-with-planner-tasks/td-p/316209

Hope this makes sense

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (2,271)