Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
colonel_claypoo
Level: Powered On

Please help with flow logic for sending email digest

Hi,

I'm stuck at thinking through some basic logic for a flow I need to create. It's about sending an email digest.

Let me explain what I would like to achieve and what I'm working with.

I would like to trigger an email digest when a date that exists within a Sharepoint list field named publishedDate has been matched, not exceeded. Sounds easy enough but currently, I can't wrap my head around this, especially how to check the the publishDate has been matched.

- should the trigger be recurrence?

- use Get items or Send an HTTP request to SharePoint?

- what should the Condition look like?

This is what I've got so far but Î suspect it doesn't make sense

chrome_2018-10-15_17-54-44.png

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Please help with flow logic for sending email digest

Hi @colonel_claypoo,

Sorry for my late reply.

You could try to change the time interval (-2-3).

Like:PublishedDate lt '@{addMinutes(utcNow(),-2)}'  and  PublishedDate gt '@{addMinutes(utcNow(),3)}’

But even then, I think there will still be some items that cannot be obtained. However, Flow currently does not have a Trigger or connector for this scenario.

Maybe you could change the mind. I can understand your needs as a point in time and then Flow is triggered, so that we can use other things instead to achieve the requirements.

Use publishedDate as the start time of the Calendar event so that we can use trigger-When an upcoming event is starting soon.

Trigger Flow five minutes before the event starts, then configure Delay until action until the time equals Start Time (publishedDate), then send the message.

Finally, you could add Delete event action to delete the previously created event.

The preparation is that you need to create a lot of such Calendar events, you can create a new Flow, use Get items to get all publishedDate, then configure Create event, and use publishedDate as Start Time.

This is the idea I can offer now, maybe you have a better way now.

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @colonel_claypoo,

I'm afraid that it is impossible to configure a trigger by checking if a date exists in a field in the list.

I am curious what you mentioned about the "date" that needs to match "publishDate".

Could you provide more details about your requirements?

Please provide more details and we would provide proper workaround for you.

Best Regards,

Barry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Administrator
Administrator

Hey, @colonel_claypoo!

Thank you for posting on the Flow Community Forum! It appears as though @v-bacao-msft would like some more information in order to further assist you properly with your issue. Please share any additional information that was requested in order to decrease the amount of time that it will take for you to be assisted!

Thank you for being an active member of the Flow Community!

-Gabriel
Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Power Automate Community Manager
Are YOU a member of your local Power Automate User Group?
Fill out This Form to claim your Community User Group Member Badge!
colonel_claypoo

Hi and thanks for your post.

Sorry for not being quite clear enough in my initial post. I'm looking to trigger the flow then utcNow() has matched a date field (publishedDate) column value. I guess this would require an exact to the second Recurrence-trigger but my Flow plan currently doesn not support <5min.

What I tried as a workaround is setting the Recurrence-trigger to its minimal interval, i.e. 5min, and then use a query in the Get-Items action:

PublishedDate lt '@{utcNow()}'  and  PublishedDate gt '@{addMinutes(utcNow(),-5)}'

Not entirely sure if this works as intended yet an if it's the smartest solution.

Feel free to suggest anything.

Thanks!

colonel_claypoo

So what I noticed with my current version of the flow using a recurrence trigger set to 5min and the query for "Get-Items" PublishedDate lt '@{utcNow()}'  and  PublishedDate gt '@{addMinutes(utcNow(),-5)}' is that it's working for the most part except for the fact that items where the PublishedDate exactly matches the UTC trigger time, i.e. 02:00 a.m. no items are returned. This makes logical sense to me but it's not ideal as some list items may not be collected if PublishedDate exactly matches the UTC time the flow is triggered by the recurrence trigger.

Any Ideas how to go around this limitation?

Thanks.

Administrator
Administrator

Hello, @v-bacao-msft!

Thank you for posting a reply to a topic on the Microsoft Flow Community! It appears that the users who you have been engaging in this thread with are now awaiting your reply! Please follow-up on this thread ASAP.

Thank You!

-Gabriel

Microsoft Flow Community Manager

-Gabriel
Microsoft Power Automate Community Manager
Are YOU a member of your local Power Automate User Group?
Fill out This Form to claim your Community User Group Member Badge!
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @colonel_claypoo,

Sorry for my late reply.

You could try to change the time interval (-2-3).

Like:PublishedDate lt '@{addMinutes(utcNow(),-2)}'  and  PublishedDate gt '@{addMinutes(utcNow(),3)}’

But even then, I think there will still be some items that cannot be obtained. However, Flow currently does not have a Trigger or connector for this scenario.

Maybe you could change the mind. I can understand your needs as a point in time and then Flow is triggered, so that we can use other things instead to achieve the requirements.

Use publishedDate as the start time of the Calendar event so that we can use trigger-When an upcoming event is starting soon.

Trigger Flow five minutes before the event starts, then configure Delay until action until the time equals Start Time (publishedDate), then send the message.

Finally, you could add Delete event action to delete the previously created event.

The preparation is that you need to create a lot of such Calendar events, you can create a new Flow, use Get items to get all publishedDate, then configure Create event, and use publishedDate as Start Time.

This is the idea I can offer now, maybe you have a better way now.

Best Regards,

Barry

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,626)