cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChrisCollao
Frequent Visitor

Populate optional images on a Word template from a Form

Hi everyone,

I would like to ask if theres a way to build a Flow that allows to put an image in a Word template pulled from an optional (it must be optional) question from Forms.

Basically... I have a Form where users can answer some questions, and load an image (optional).

This answers are being loaded to a Word template.

This word template has a field where the image can be loaded. But the image must be optional.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

If you need pictures, schemas or more info, just let me know.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ChrisCollao,

At first, we should use empty() function to determine the answer of Optional image whether is empty, if there is no image upload, the answer will return null, empty() function will return true. If it not return true, get the uploaded file content and populate it into the Word template:

Annotation 2020-07-06 144758.jpg

About get the upload file content in the MS Form, please refer to this post:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Working-with-files-from-the-Forms-quot-File-Uploa...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ChrisCollao,

At first, we should use empty() function to determine the answer of Optional image whether is empty, if there is no image upload, the answer will return null, empty() function will return true. If it not return true, get the uploaded file content and populate it into the Word template:

Annotation 2020-07-06 144758.jpg

About get the upload file content in the MS Form, please refer to this post:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Building-Flows/Working-with-files-from-the-Forms-quot-File-Uploa...

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Hi @v-litu-msft  , thanks for your help.

With your way I should create 2 word templates? One when there's an imagen, and another for when there is not?

Hi @ChrisCollao,

Yes, if the image exists, go to the branch to append the image into Word template, if not, go to the brach not append image.

Best Regards,

Hi @v-litu-msft thanks again... 

Hmmm... Okay, not a very elegant way to solve it. Because if I need 3 optional images, then I should create 9 different word templates to satisfy all the possible branches. Right?

Will try this option and let you know.

Best regards.

Did you solve this by using multiple word templates with and without images? I'm have the same problem and this just seems absurd that you can't pass a blank value so that field is ignored in the template.

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MSFTBizAppsLaunchEvent

Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Users online (2,943)