cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Populated Word Template discrepancy between installed Word, Opening Word in Teams, and Indesign Import

Okay. I have a complicated fish here for everyone.

I have developed a PowerApp that allows users to input info into specific fields for a Sharepoint list (Title, Subheading, Body Copy, etc).

Users can then press a button that triggers a flow.

This flow populates a Word Template with Fields (Title, Subheading, Body Copy, etc), drawing the information from the Sharepoint list.

The flow runs great, everything, according to Flow, is populated correctly.

Then I hit a wall.

When I open the document in the installed version of Word 365, all of the fields are filled out correctly. I can see each of the Sharepoitn columns have been populated into their respective fields. When I check the document info -> Properties, all of the fields contain the correct information.

When I open the same document through Teams (Open -> Open in Word *Not Word Online*), none of the Fields are populated. It just displays [Title], [Subheading], BodyCopy], etc. Also, when I check the properties, none of the fields are even present in the info, let alone populated.

Lastly, when I place the document into Indesign, none of the fields are populated. (Again, it just shows [Title], [Subheading] etc.

If I open the document through the installed version of word (the one where all the info is present), then type a single character, and then save the document, I am then able to import the document into Indesign and have all the fields populated.

Is anyone able to explain this baffling behaviour? It has me stumped as to how I can fix this. Opening and modyfying the word document for each one that is created is not a workable solution. It defeats the entire purpose of this set up.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Populated Word Template discrepancy between installed Word, Opening Word in Teams, and Indesign Import

Hi @cfebvre ,

Could you share a screenshot of the Flow configuration?

This will allow us to reproduce a similar issue based on your steps.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Advocate IV
Advocate IV

Re: Populated Word Template discrepancy between installed Word, Opening Word in Teams, and Indesign Import

Thanks Bacao,

I've attached a screenshot of the flow configuration pertinent to the creation of the Word document. Keep in mind, the flow does work, and it does populate the Template file with the relevant fields.

I can even copy the Word file from the Sharepoint library to my Desktop and open it, and the info and properties are retained, even though they are divorced from the Sharepoint document library's metadata columns.

The problem begins to occur when the subsequent file is placed in Indesign CS5.5, or opened in Word 365 (not Word Online) via the Teams app. It's a this point that the Fields only display their default, blank state - [Title], [Body Copy], etc.

One possible solution I can think of - is there a way to convert the Fields into regular text within the document, after the document has been updated, within MS Flow?

This flow does run successfullyThis flow does run successfully

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,267)