cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
G99
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Possible to open Outlook and display a pre populated email?

Hi,

I was wondering if Power Automate can launch Outlook with a pre written email including To:, Subject:, and Body:

For the user to click send or make changes and then send?

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
StretchFredrik
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hello,

ive done something similar to this. What i did was to pre populate a msg file, which i put in a Team, the flow then took that file and emailed it to the person in question, they could then just press the msg file, edit and send, with the recipients pre populated. 

G99
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi @StretchFredrik 

Thanks for your response. Could you provide some more details or how your flow looks?

The msg file you placed in Teams, does that channel need to be shared with the wider business. How exactly do you direct the users to see the msg file?

StretchFredrik
Resolver I
Resolver I

The msg file is attatched to the email. And the file is placed in a Team not everyone has access too, which doesnt matter since i just attach it to the email (Basically its a copy of the file). 

G99
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Just so I'm following:

I create an email in Outlook, save the email, upload the email to Teams and then configure my flow to pick this file whenever a user clicks on a link somewhere?

If you can provide some instructions in how i do the last bits, around setting up the flow?

Thanks

StretchFredrik
Resolver I
Resolver I

You just need to create a Outlook email and save it as a msg file, then put it either in SharePoint or Teams, just so your flow can reach it.

My flow runs on timer, so what it does is:

Trigger -> Gets file content (The msg file, put in Teams in my case) -> Gets the recipients (In my case its dynamic, you can skip this if its hard coded) -> Send the email, with the file attached.

StretchFredrik_0-1645774901190.png

G99
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

I'll give this a try
but I think this will not open Outlook rather it's sending a pre-written email as an attachment. Which would mean the user wouldn't be able to edit the email?

StretchFredrik
Resolver I
Resolver I

I mean if you send it in Teams from your flow, the file when pressed will open Outlook (Based on their Default email client), and yes the user CAN edit the file once opened, just like a regular email. 

G99
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

When you say your flow runs on timer, how does it pop up the email message when a user clicks it? how often does your timer run?

Also what sort of flow should it be, automated, instant scheduled etc?

StretchFredrik
Resolver I
Resolver I

Ours is scheduled, but the trigger doesn't really matter, pick what fits your needs the best.

The flow doesn't "pop up" the new email when its ran, it just sends the file, the user then gets a pre-filled email when they open the attached msg file.

G99
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Hi

So now I am confused.

When the flow runs for your solution, it emails the user who 'ran' the flow, with an attachment of the email, for them to open and then edit or send as is?

Is there no way flow can launch Outlook with a pre-written email rather than a user receiving an email to then open the attachment and then send?

StretchFredrik
Resolver I
Resolver I

You could send the specified users the file on Teams or similar to make it easier for them to open it. 

The users themselfes dont need to run the flow, you can but then you need a specified list of users that are going to get the file sent to them. 

G99
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

I've tested this and I'm unsure what Flow would be doing in this scenario

I have written the email, saved it to SP, the user when clicking the file, is asked to download, and then the user can open the file.

Ideally I'd want the file to open when the user clicked the link in SP, but it appears this is currently not possible. So I am missing what I need to use Power Automate. Is there a way Power Automate can launch the email in Outlook when the file is clicked in SP?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

365 EduCon 768x460.png

Microsoft 365 EduCon

Join us for two optional days of workshops and a 3-day conference, you can choose from over 130 sessions in multiple tracks and 25 workshops.

Users online (3,909)