cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gadgetgeek
Regular Visitor

Power Automate Expression loses Dynamic Content fields

Just getting started in Power Automate and I need some help with Expressions. If you know of a good resource for understanding Expressions I would love to read that.

I've got a simple Power Automate flow I'm trying to create. The flow reads lines from an Excel table with the "List rows present in a table" step. I then added an Apply to each and selected the value from the Excel step.  All good so far.

I then am taking that value and creating a Dataverse table record with the "Create new record" step.  I feed in the Excel table columns by name and everything works great. Except my table column "Join Date", which requires a date-formatted value. The value from Excel is a date serial.

So, I removed the Dynamic content value, and click Expression. Looked for the formatDateTime, which shows when I type, but isn't in the list of functions. ??? Then try to reach back in the Dynamic content to grab the field, but the field has disappeared.  I'm confused. It happens if I choose any expression...the Dynamic content only shows Excel body and value, not the fields.

Power Automate loses excel column data with FormatDateTime.gif

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
krootz
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@Gadgetgeek if you dont see the dynamic content from the list, just hover above the "Join Date" and you will see the equivalent expression for that which you can type inside the formatdatetime()

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
krootz
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@Gadgetgeek if you dont see the dynamic content from the list, just hover above the "Join Date" and you will see the equivalent expression for that which you can type inside the formatdatetime()

View solution in original post

Gadgetgeek
Regular Visitor

I see. When I hover I see this:

items('Apply_to_each')?['Join Date']

Good start. Thanks!

Gadgetgeek
Regular Visitor

"FormatDateTime" didn't work, but this did work. Thanks @krootz 

startOfDay(items('Apply_to_each')?['Join Date'])

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (75,282)