Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Olijk
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power Automate Multi Level Approver Using Get Items List

Hello,

Recently, I made a post about multi level approvals and get list @abm assisted with this request and created the following video:  https://youtu.be/CplQ16x2h8U

My initial post stated, I am in process of trying to build a multi level approval using a get items list similar to the below. I am not too familiar with using this function…

For example, amount Dollar

Amt| Approvers

0-10k| one approver

10001-50000| multiple approvers

50001-100000| multiple approvers and so forth. It would be 8 levels of approvers based on amt.

Below was my initial flow:

-when and item is created

-update item to pending manager approval

-start and wait approval 

-Condition- if outcome is approved

-update item to approve /terminate flow if not approved

-condition, if item is over 10000—

-update item to pending additional approvals

-start and wait approval

-Condition- if outcome is approved

-update item to approve

-condition if item is over 50k…

-update item to pending additional approvers

-start and wait approval 

-condition if approved

-update item to approve…

This would continue up to 8 levels depending upon the amount. 

This Youtube video was spot on when using a list with based on dollar thresholds and one approver.  However, upon doing more research and communicating with @abm my initial ask using get items was incorrect.  This would be a sequential flow, so once the manager approves, and dependent upon the amount, it would go to Level 2 approvers then Level 3 approvers and so forth.  For example, if my amount was over 55k, then, my manager would have to approve first, then the second level manager would have to approve and then the 3rd level would have to approve and so forth. I was looking for the below:

-When an item is created

-Start and waits for Manager approval

-Condition if approved (if rejected update item to rejected and terminate the flow)

-Update item to approved

-Get Items (for anything over 10000k)

-Start and Wait Approval for approvers (from the Get list) over 10000k

-Condition if approved

-Update item to approved

Thank you in advance Power Automate Community!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
abm
Most Valuable Professional

Hi @Olijk 

Made a video regarding this. Watch the video and comment.

https://youtu.be/cpNS2P7QVRo

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
Power Automate Video Tutorials

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
Deano12
Helper II
Helper II

For me there's 2 ways I would consider when doing this. Multi level approval can be done based on conditions for each step of the process, keep in mind that only 8 conditions can be used per flow process.

Scope:

Approve level 1 > Direct Line Manager
Approved
Condition | Is Column2 value >= ## 

Yes

Approve level 2 > Threshold 1 Approvers

Approved

Yes

Condition | Is Column2 value >= ###

Yes

Approve level 3 > Threshold 2 Approvers 

Follow under all conditions with the final action of what ever takes place once all approval levels have been completed.

-------------------

Second Option

Flow 1 - handles the Line Manager approval

Flow 2 - Triggers when item is modified and contains trigger conditions for 'lvl 1 approve' eq true AND Column2 >= ##

Flow 3 - Uses the same set of conditions as flow 2 but with different threshold. Instead of lvl 1 approve, make it 'lvl 2 approve eq true AND Column 2 >= ###

Continue to build flows for each level of approval.

Its up to you which way you go, it's nice to have everything in 1 flow, but you will end up being restricted to 8 total conditions and if something breaks, you'll need to backwards engineer a large flow. Where as with each individual flow, you are unrestricted in terms of conditions as well as it's easier to see which one failed.

abm

Hi @Olijk 

Is that means the first 10K always approved by the managers? (First Level). That means second level amount is 10001-50000| multiple approvers and so on.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Hello @abm ,

Yes that is correct. The first 10k will always be approved my the manager (first level).

This statement is also correct…That means second level amount is 10001-50000| multiple approvers and so on.

abm

Hi @Olijk 

Thanks. Will get back to you.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
abm

Hi @Olijk 

Made a video regarding this. Watch the video and comment.

https://youtu.be/cpNS2P7QVRo

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Hello @abm,

Thank you sooo much for the video!  It was super helpful. This worked for one of my flows and partially my second flow.  However, I have a new wrinkle.  In my second form, the user would select their manager, which was apart of the flow you built on Youtube.

The wrinkle is if 2 people select their manager which has approvals up to 50K, then that manager would get 2 emails based on the approval config, correct.  However, if the other users select their manager, then the flow works as it was designed to do. Should I create another config table or add on to the condition outside of the loop? For example if outcome is equal to approve and the approver email is address is not equal to @yahoo.com, then follow the Youtube flow. Condition 2 if outcome is equal to approve and is equal to @gmail.com (which would be the 2 users that select their managers name with approvals up to 50K), then dont send an 2 emails...go to o the next step.  Maybe do another start and wait approval and then...This is where I am getting stuck. 

The second wrinkle is that the user would like to select the third level of approvals on the submission form.  I was thinking about adding a specific field to the form and then in the start and wait approvals bringing in that field so the approvers would know who needs to approve. Thoughts???

abm

Hi @Olijk 

I have made the video based on that requirement. Not sure you explain this or not. Not sure what you meant by 2 people select their managers? That configuration is flexible enough to send approvals based on any range of amount and multiple approvers. 

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Hello @abm ,

Thank you for the reply.  I will try to explain further

Fill out the SP form

Select their managers name 

The flow:

-Get manager Approval first (this is now the new wrinkle). 2 managers in this list has approvals up 50K. This would mean that the manager would get 2 emails based on the approval config, 1 as the first level approver then the other one as the 2nd level approver. Should I add a condition after start and wait approval or create a 2nd config?

-Then use get items to filter out the Approval Config list based on dollar amount.

abm

Hi @Olijk 

The first level is the manager which is upto 10K. Once that is approved then second level approval (10K - 50k) which is going to be by two managers. So it will send approval for second level first manager and wait for his approval. Once he approved then it will send second approval for the second manager. I am not sure why you need another config? This is what you explained me and I have re-worked on the video earlier. Looks like you keep changing the requirements. 

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Hello @abm 

Thank you for the email and yes I understand what the flow is doing. Yes, the requirements keep changing based on the users. The current set up works because I have tested multiple times. I believe I may just need to change the submission form requirements based on the users preference and remove the 2nd level from the approval config and hard code the start and wait approvals for the first 2 levels and then continue with the flow from the video.

abm

Hi @Olijk 

Thats looks like an option. Based on the original requirement I believe the solution I provided is correct. I would appreciate if you could mark accept as solution.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Hello @abm ,

i just accepted the video as a solution. I thought I did that a few days ago☺️

Hello @abm   ,

I had to adjust my power apps to include another field that has a dollar amount. So when the user selects one form type amount field A appears, when the user selects another form type amount field B appears.

When I go to get items, I followed the video… Formx0020 le Amount.

With my form now having 2 dollars fields, my Odata query was Formx0020 le AmountA or Formx0020 le AmountB. I tried with and without brackets.

When I got to the 3rd Compose, using the split expression, it gives me an error message, as seen on the attached. 

Should I use another Expression?

abm

Hi @Olijk 

Ideally this should be another new thread. Could you please create and let me know.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Helpful resources

Announcements

Celebrating the May Super User of the Month: Laurens Martens

@LaurensM  is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community. Super Users like Laurens inspire others through their example, encouragement, and active participation. We are excited to celebrated Laurens as our Super User of the Month for May 2024.   Consistent Engagement:  He consistently engages with the community by answering forum questions, sharing insights, and providing solutions. Laurens dedication helps other users find answers and overcome challenges.   Community Expertise: As a Super User, Laurens plays a crucial role in maintaining a knowledge sharing environment. Always ensuring a positive experience for everyone.   Leadership: He shares valuable insights on community growth, engagement, and future trends. Their contributions help shape the Power Platform Community.   Congratulations, Laurens Martens, for your outstanding work! Keep inspiring others and making a difference in the community!   Keep up the fantastic work!        

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook today!

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Copilot Studio Community. We can't wait for you to share your expertise and your experience!    Join us for an amazing opportunity where you'll be one of the first to contribute to the Copilot Cookbook—your ultimate guide to mastering Microsoft Copilot. Whether you're seeking inspiration or grappling with a challenge while crafting apps, you probably already know that Copilot Cookbook is your reliable assistant, offering a wealth of tips and tricks at your fingertips--and we want you to add your expertise. What can you "cook" up?   Click this link to get started: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Gallery   Don't miss out on this exclusive opportunity to be one of the first in the Community to share your app creation journey with Copilot. We'll be announcing a Cookbook Challenge very soon and want to make sure you one of the first "cooks" in the kitchen.   Don't miss your moment--start submitting in the Copilot Cookbook Gallery today!     Thank you,  Engagement Team

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Check Out the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community.  We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Welcome to the Power Automate Community

You are now a part of a fast-growing vibrant group of peers and industry experts who are here to network, share knowledge, and even have a little fun.   Now that you are a member, you can enjoy the following resources:   Welcome to the Community   News & Announcements: The is your place to get all the latest news around community events and announcements. This is where we share with the community what is going on and how to participate.  Be sure to subscribe to this board and not miss an announcement.   Get Help with Power Automate Forums: If you're looking for support with any part of Power Automate, our forums are the place to go. From General Power Automate forums to Using Connectors, Building Flows and Using Flows.  You will find thousands of technical professionals, and Super Users with years of experience who are ready and eager to answer your questions. You now have the ability to post, reply and give "kudos" on the Power Automate community forums. Make sure you conduct a quick search before creating a new post because your question may have already been asked and answered. Galleries: The galleries are full of content and can assist you with information on creating a flow in our Webinars and Video Gallery, and the ability to share the flows you have created in the Power Automate Cookbook.  Stay connected with the Community Connections & How-To Videos from the Microsoft Community Team. Check out the awesome content being shared there today.   Power Automate Community Blog: Over the years, more than 700 Power Automate Community Blog articles have been written and published by our thriving community. Our community members have learned some excellent tips and have keen insights on the future of process automation. In the Power Automate Community Blog, you can read the latest Power Automate-related posts from our community blog authors around the world. Let us know if you'd like to become an author and contribute your own writing — everything Power Automate-related is welcome.   Community Support: Check out and learn more about Using the Community for tips & tricks. Let us know in the Community Feedback  board if you have any questions or comments about your community experience. Again, we are so excited to welcome you to the Microsoft Power Automate community family. Whether you are brand new to the world of process automation or you are a seasoned Power Automate veteran - our goal is to shape the community to be your 'go to' for support, networking, education, inspiration and encouragement as we enjoy this adventure together.     Power Automate Community Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip | How to Report Spam in Our Community

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: How to Report Spam in Our Community We strive to maintain a professional and helpful community, and part of that effort involves keeping our platform free of spam. If you encounter a post that you believe is spam, please follow these steps to report it: Locate the Post: Find the post in question within the community.Kebab Menu: Click on the "Kebab" menu | 3 Dots, on the top right of the post.Report Inappropriate Content: Select "Report Inappropriate Content" from the menu.Submit Report: Fill out any necessary details on the form and submit your report.   Our community team will review the report and take appropriate action to ensure our community remains a valuable resource for everyone.   Thank you for helping us keep the community clean and useful!

Users online (4,801)