cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
defa07

Power Automate Substring weird behavior

Hy guys, hope you're doing fine 

For my first topic I have this "substring" error: 

The execution of template action 'Select' failed: The evaluation of 'query' action 'where' expression '{

"sharepointItem": "@substring(item()['Task Name'], add(indexOf(item()['Task Name'], '-'), 2))"

}' failed: 'The template language function 'substring' parameter is out of range: 'start index' must be non-negative integer and should be less than the length of the string. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions#substring for usage details.'.

I'm trying to execute this function as the key in a Select action, applied to a huge JSON content, and get a especific number after " - " symbol. For instance, from "Incidente - 15832", I would like to stick with the "15832". 

Flow setup:

What is quite confusing for me is when I grab the first item of JSON, for test purpose, and apply substring(first(body('Parse_JSON'))['Task Name'], add(indexOf(first(body('Parse_JSON'))['Task Name'], '-'), 2)), the formula works smoothly:

Issue_Compose.JPG 

I used lenght(item()['Task Name']) to check the lenght of strings and got the following values:

defa07_5-1610501001139.png

And indexOf(item()['Task Name'], '-') to know if each part of the formula returns the proper value:

Issue_Index.JPG

As well as just item()['Task Name']:

Issue_TaskItem.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi @v-litu-msft,

Turns out it was a pagination issue on the "List rows in a table", where I set the threshold to 5000. For some reason, when I reduced it to 500, the flow worked!

Thanks for your support!!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @defa07,

It's so weird, your expression is collect and I tested on my side but not found the same issue:

Screenshot 2021-01-13 161546.jpg

How about using the split() function to do it: 

split(item()?['Task Name'],'- ')[1]

Screenshot 2021-01-13 161931.jpg

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Tks, @v-litu-msft ,

I'm afraid its a bug, beacause once more I tested your suggested formula on a Compose, and it returns the expected value, but in Select, now, I've just got the following error:

InvalidTemplate. The execution of template action 'Select' failed: The evaluation of 'query' action 'where' expression '{ "sharepointItem": "@split(item()?['Task Name'],'- ')[1]" }' failed: 'The template language expression 'split(item()?['Task Name'],'- ')[1]' cannot be evaluated because array index '1' is outside bounds (0, 0) of array. Please see https://aka.ms/logicexpressions for usage details.'.

Issue_WF_Split.JPG

v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @defa07,

How about deleting the select action or recreating a new Flow to test it?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-litu-msft,

Turns out it was a pagination issue on the "List rows in a table", where I set the threshold to 5000. For some reason, when I reduced it to 500, the flow worked!

Thanks for your support!!

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
2022 Release Wave 1 760x460.png

2022 Release Wave 1 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2022 release wave 1 describes all new features releasing from April 2022 through September 2022.

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (2,514)