cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EricDesignTech
Regular Visitor

Power Automate, not initiating

I'm stuck at the very beginning of a Power Automate sequence in Teams. The first problem is clearly that there's no console window to tell me what the problem is, or a way to include print statements or alerts. Anyway…

The issue is that I have selected "When a new channel message is added" and I've selected the channel and message thread in the dropdowns, but when a comment is added, nothing happens. The Power Automate history also claims it's never been run.

This seems pretty simple, when the selected Teams channel + thread has a comment added, *even if the sequence is broken*, I should still see that it ran in the history?

When I add a new channel message and have "When a new channel message is added" in Power Automate setup, I should see something in the history, right?

Based on how simple this is I assume it’s just a bug and I need to wait for a new version of MS Teams.

I’m also confused why this is a separate forum from the main MS forums. I already asked this in the Teams category and they refused to answer. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The problem is MS chose misleading and bad semantics for the trigger I was using. Only new *conversations* in Teams team channels trigger the automation, replies do not trigger it. It’s not just bad semantics, it’s also a missing/broken tool since it’s not possible to trigger an automation when “a new message is added” because it fails on replies. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
EricDesignTech
Regular Visitor

Nobody can explain the most basic functionality? Weird.

The problem is MS chose misleading and bad semantics for the trigger I was using. Only new *conversations* in Teams team channels trigger the automation, replies do not trigger it. It’s not just bad semantics, it’s also a missing/broken tool since it’s not possible to trigger an automation when “a new message is added” because it fails on replies. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,937)