Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chriss1982
Helper I
Helper I

Power Automate runs on every list item

Hello all, 

I have a Power Automate which starts with the trigger "When a item is created or modified"and just includes an "Update item" action . 

If I now create or change a single item, the flow runs for every item in the list and I don´t know why. 

When I choose "When a item is created" it just runs on the created item. 

Does anybody knows why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Chriss1982,

The issue is caused the Flow is caught in an infinite loop. If an item is created or modified, it will update the item, then it will trigger the next run, then it will update the item again, then it will trigger the next run, etc.

If you changed the trigger to "When an item is created", the Flow will trigger only when an item is created.

There is a blog about how to solve it, you could refer to it:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Community-Blog/SharePoint-Managing-Recursive-Even...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-litu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Chriss1982,

The issue is caused the Flow is caught in an infinite loop. If an item is created or modified, it will update the item, then it will trigger the next run, then it will update the item again, then it will trigger the next run, etc.

If you changed the trigger to "When an item is created", the Flow will trigger only when an item is created.

There is a blog about how to solve it, you could refer to it:

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Community-Blog/SharePoint-Managing-Recursive-Even...

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Lin Tu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anomadeus
Frequent Visitor

This is an issue with your platform not the end users flow. Funny how SharePoint 2010 and 2013 can handle this without issue but Flow cant...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Community Calls Conversations

Community Calls Conversations

A great place where you can stay up to date with community calls and interact with the speakers.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Users online (4,018)