cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
T_A_M
Helper IV
Helper IV

Preventing empty form responses from populating Sharepoint

I have a flow that collects Form responses and populates a Sharepoint list. My problem is that it creates blank items for questions that have not been answered in the Form:

flow.JPG

flow2.JPG

flow3.JPG

Is there a way to have the flow only create items for questions that have received a response?

5 REPLIES 5
v-tiribe
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello T_A_M,

It seems you want to avoid the creation of a SharePoint item in case the reply to a question is empty.

It seems you may be missing a condition to check if the “output” from “compose 3” is null or not.

Since it is in an apply to each, it will review every answer and in case it is not empty, it will create an item at SharePoint level.

v-tiribe_0-1614884002629.png

The condition above will work and the question that is not answered will not be created as an item in the SharePoint List but you may need to change your logic because with the current one you will be creating a lot of items in the SharePoint list considering the number of questions you have in the form.

Imagine you have a form with 3 questions, in case 10 persons reply, it will create 30 items in SharePoint.

You may need to customize your SharePoint list so that each reply to be a customer’s reply column.

Thanks for responding.
When I try to use the function string("") in a condition, I get an error that says it's an invalid expression.
Also, when I try to add a "Create Item" operation under the "No" side of the Condition, I get an error that says "Cannot read property 'getid' of undefined."

Hello T_A_M

The function you should use in the condition is string('') and not string("") otherwise you will be seeing the invalid expression error message.

The logic i have is in case the output is equal to empty, it will not do anything but in case it is not, it will create the item in the sharepoint list. 

Regarding the error message, please check if after applying the logic from the condition you have the same error. In case you have, please debug the scenario on the failed execution and see what could be the variable or action that may not be defined.

I fixed the function to be used in the condition, and the flow now doesn't create any error messages. However, it still creates a Sharepoint item for all of the form responses, even the empty ones:
Here's the condition that I added:

flow_jpg.jpg

v-tiribe
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello T_A_M,

Please check in the flow run the "Outputs" values to see why the condition is not being met for the iteration that should be empty.

Best regards,

Tiago Ribeiro | Power Platform Support Engineer.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Microsoft 365 Conference – December 6-8, 2022

Join us in Las Vegas to experience community, incredible learning opportunities, and connections that will help grow skills, know-how, and more.

Users online (2,653)