Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cdn4lf
Resolver I
Resolver I

Processing Reponses to adaptive cards in Teams

Hi All,

I am in the process of using flow to deploy an adaptive card in teams.  My issue is around how to process the response on action.submit and generate a notification to a user or ideally send someone else a teams message when this command is triggered.

Any assistance would be great.

Thank you,

Sean

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
efialttes
Super User III
Super User III

Hi!

There was a recent announcement on this topic.

AS far as I know, last week the status of this feature was the following:

-The rollout is expected soon. Audrie Gordon gave the following clue: "The wait for a response feature is out for release, but may take several weeks to reach all of you. Keep your eyes out, it will be there soon. We have released some templates that you can try though. Search for "Adaptive Cards" in the template gallery."

-Teams connector documentation showed these new actions as deprecated, and you could not find them in the Power Automate Editor.

-If you search on the Templates library for 'Adaptive Cards' as Audrie suggested hopefully you will see find these new actions implemented (I haven't checked this week, some days ago they were available)

-The official documentation is available here

In my opinion, the reason why these new actions were deprecated last week is that the input 'Update message' was not yet implemented. So, the customer experience once he/she summits an answer was a bit confusing: the card stays as is with its input fields set to empty value, so the user has to 'remember' if he/she has already submitted an answer or not. I guess once 'Update messge' input is finally implemented, the rollout will start.

Here you are an example of the output received on PowerAutomate when I submitted an answer to an Adaptive Card, it is dependant on the structure and Id you used when designing the card:

{
"responseTime": "2020-01-24T09:48:03.8658155Z",
"responder": {
"objectId": "16e194b1-ff60-43ac-8321-0735a96d16a6",
"tenantId": "xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx",
"email": "xxxxx.xxxxx@xxxx.com",
"userPrincipalName": "xxxxx.xxxxx@xxxx.com",
"displayName": "xxxx xxxxx xxxxx"
},
"submitActionId": "OK",
"data": {
"CompactSelectVal": "131",
"SingleSelectVal": "75",
"dueDate": "2020-01-23",
"comment": ""
}
}

If templates are still available, you can play with them and get used to the outputs
Hope this helps

Each time you click on any of our inspiring answers 'Thumb up' icon...
...an ewok scapes from the stormtroopers.

Be grateful, Thumbs up! Save the Galaxy for free!

Escribo sobre Power Automate en:
https://medium.com/anyone-can-automate/

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
DeepakS
Super User
Super User

Hi @cdn4lf , 

Check out this latest updates on Adaptive cards- 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-automate/overview-adaptive-cards

Two new actions are coming up:

• -Post an adaptive card as the Flow bot to a Teams user, and wait for a response
  • -Post an adaptive card as the Flow bot to a Teams channel, and wait for a response

These actions should be available in preview early FEB.

With this action, you can collect the response from TEAMS to Power Automate and process the response as needed.

——————————————————
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

efialttes
Super User III
Super User III

Hi!

There was a recent announcement on this topic.

AS far as I know, last week the status of this feature was the following:

-The rollout is expected soon. Audrie Gordon gave the following clue: "The wait for a response feature is out for release, but may take several weeks to reach all of you. Keep your eyes out, it will be there soon. We have released some templates that you can try though. Search for "Adaptive Cards" in the template gallery."

-Teams connector documentation showed these new actions as deprecated, and you could not find them in the Power Automate Editor.

-If you search on the Templates library for 'Adaptive Cards' as Audrie suggested hopefully you will see find these new actions implemented (I haven't checked this week, some days ago they were available)

-The official documentation is available here

In my opinion, the reason why these new actions were deprecated last week is that the input 'Update message' was not yet implemented. So, the customer experience once he/she summits an answer was a bit confusing: the card stays as is with its input fields set to empty value, so the user has to 'remember' if he/she has already submitted an answer or not. I guess once 'Update messge' input is finally implemented, the rollout will start.

Here you are an example of the output received on PowerAutomate when I submitted an answer to an Adaptive Card, it is dependant on the structure and Id you used when designing the card:

{
"responseTime": "2020-01-24T09:48:03.8658155Z",
"responder": {
"objectId": "16e194b1-ff60-43ac-8321-0735a96d16a6",
"tenantId": "xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx",
"email": "xxxxx.xxxxx@xxxx.com",
"userPrincipalName": "xxxxx.xxxxx@xxxx.com",
"displayName": "xxxx xxxxx xxxxx"
},
"submitActionId": "OK",
"data": {
"CompactSelectVal": "131",
"SingleSelectVal": "75",
"dueDate": "2020-01-23",
"comment": ""
}
}

If templates are still available, you can play with them and get used to the outputs
Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

View solution in original post

Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I had tried to use the survey template previously, but it appears to not be properly configured, the sales lead template is working properly and providing a response.

Thank you again!

Good news!

My company's tenent is in EMEA region, and we can already access the new actions through  PA Flow editor.

Also Update Message input is already implemented, I've made some initial tests and it's working fine 😊

Hope this helps

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Thanks!  I've tested the poll template and am able to get the first response back.

Do you know if there is a way to get additional poll results? (I realize that a limitation is that we can only get responses back for the first approval)

MaVashik
Frequent Visitor

Hi @cdn4lf,

here is my solution to this. I was struggling my self so I came up with this way and it works fine for me.

First "Post an Adaptive Card to a Teams user and wait for response" something like that:

postToTeams.png

After that is important to get that "submitActionId" when user responses (click on button in Teams chat). You do this with Compose like that: 

Outputs('PostToTeams')['body']['submitActionId']

submitActionId.png

PostToTeams = name of step "Post an Adaptive Card to a Teams user and wait for response".

After that it's pretty easy. Just use Condition (or Switch if you offered more Options) to decide what flow should continue with.

condition.png

It's very nice feature. For example we are automatically create Planner tasks and then manager gets this message in Teams chat where he assigns new task to choosen employee. 

Hope it helps

As of July 2020, I could not find output of "Post an Adaptive Card to a Teams user and wait for a response" in Power Automate.

The previous solution with the following Dynamic Content Expression did not work 

Outputs('PostToTeams')['body']['submitActionId']

However, what worked for me was inserting the following expression:

body('Post_an_Adaptive_Card_to_a_Teams_user_and_wait_for_a_response')?['submitActionId']

If you are using it inside an condition block, you can check the above expression is equal to the text ac_approve 

sigmandel
Regular Visitor

nevermind, got it working but cant delete this message

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA_User Group Leader_768x460.jpg

Manage your user group events

Check out the News & Announcements to learn more.

V3_PVA CAmpaign Carousel.png

Community Challenge - Giveaways!

Participate in the Power Virtual Agents Community Challenge

Carousel 2021 Release Wave 2 Plan 768x460.jpg

2021 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform release plan for the 2021 release wave 2 describes all new features releasing from October 2021 through March 2022.

PowerPlatform 768x460.png

Microsoft Learn

Check out our new Discover Your Career Path blog post series and get all the details.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (1,553)