cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Prompt User for Input at Start of Approval Flow

I know there is a default Request Sign-off flow available in my Sharepoint document library already, but it doesn't do what I want exactly, and there isn't a way to get under its hood. So I've developed my own similar flow.

What I haven't succeeded at though, is figuring out how to create a prompt at the beginning of the Flow process, where the user starting the process inputs emails or identifies People within the organization to whom the Approval request is sent; and similarly, how they can input some multi-line text to be included in the Approval request email. These two inputs are required at the beginning of the built-in Request sign-off flow... I would like to implement them in my own flow in the exact same way.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Super User II
Super User II

Re: Prompt User for Input at Start of Approval Flow

@mike_302 

Hi there.  So, are they starting/triggering the flow manually from the document library?  Is your organization using Teams?  I was leaning towards an adaptive card or something sent to the user who triggered the flow.

Another option might be to insert a Forms Pro survey?

Would a Power App make sense?

I'm guessing you want the email addresses to resolve on the fly, ya?  And maybe have some kind of path for errors?

Keep us posted.

-Ed-

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Prompt User for Input at Start of Approval Flow

Hi @edgonzales ,

They are triggering the flow from the document library, after selecting the document.

We are using Teams. I don't believe we have Forms Pro or Power Apps enabled though.

Ideally the solution is all kept in Sharepoint though -- is it not possible to achieve the same thing that the built-in Request Sign-off flow has, where a panel pulls out on the right side, you input the People to Approve and a message, and start the process? 

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Re: Pompt User for Input at Start of Approval Flow

Did you get a solution on this Mike?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I didn't -- not a solution by the method I thought at the start of this thread. There was no way to get a user input form at the start of the Flow. Instead, I had to create a column in the library, where People would be input. The People were the designated approvers. At the start of a customized Approval Flow, the Designated Approver People were extracted from that column and an Approval request sent to each of them.

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

I wonder if Microsoft is using a hidden connector for the prompt or something like https://us.flow.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/shared_bizzy/atbot-logic/ behind the scenes.  I haven't looked closely at their pricing structure, and I don't even know if those connectors would necessarily work similar to achieve what I think we both want.  It's not preferable to have folks editing the list to add "Approvers" so that they can be "read-in" by Power Automate.  Anyhow, if I find something I'll come back to the thread an update so others looking can see options.  Thanks for the quick reply.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

August 2020 CYST Winners!

Check out the winners of the recent 'Can You Solve These?' community challenge!

thirdImage

Experience what's new for Power Automate

Join us for an in-depth look at the new Power Automate features and capabilities at the free Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (5,426)