cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swhitmore
Level: Powered On

Provision a modern team site programmatically via Flow

Hi everyone, I'm attempting to programmatically create a modern team site via Flow using the SharePoint Online REST API described here using the Send an HTTP Request to SharePoint action. This is the action I've started with, but I get the error "BadGateway". Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

screenshot.png

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Provision a modern team site programmatically via Flow

Hi @swhitmore ,

As far as I know, Send an HTTP request to SharePoint action needs to specify the Site in Site Address field and then do some operations on the existing site.

And your need is to create a new team site, it seems that this action is not applicable to your scenario.

You could consider using HTTP action to create a modern team site.

Please refer to following blog, and see if it helps:

https://laurakokkarinen.com/provisioning-teams-with-a-site-design-flow-and-microsoft-graph/

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
swhitmore

Thanks @v-bacao-msft ,

I'm actually trying to provision the Group from flow, not just the team in Teams. So I'm looking for a HTTP REST API that would create the Group and SharePoint Modern Site

Super User
Super User

Hi!

You can create Moder SharePoint sites without calling REST API. Please review this article for more information.

This article described how to do it with the help of Plumsail SP connector, which is a part of Plumsail Actions. Note, this is a paid solution.

CreateTeamSharePointSiteExample.png

swhitmore

Thanks @anton-khrit. I was aware of this 3rd party action, however I was hoping to avoid it as I don't have administrator access for our SharePoint Tenancy and I'm not sure they will approve 3rd party tools and access.

dvdalen

Don't know if it's allowed to link my own website but I just wrote a blog about this: Create a new Team with Forms and Flow

I describe how to use forms and flow (and graph) to create a team. With this you also get the modern sharepoint team site. I'm also planning on writing a blog about creating a communication site with forms, flow and the sharepoint rest api...

swhitmore

Thanks @dvdalen . Would this require admin rights on the SharePoint tenancy?

dvdalen

Hi @swhitmore ,

Your app registration needs the Read and write all groups rights. And this right needs to be granted by an admin, see: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/permissions-reference under Application permissions

Super User
Super User

Hi @swhitmore 

How is your PowerShell? An alternative method which is becoming more common is to use Azure Automation, and to build your modern team site using PowerShell in an Azure Runbook. It will give you more control over what you do with the site as and when it's provisioned.

Just thought I'd throw an additional option into the ring 🙂

Did my reply help? Please give it a thumbs up.
Did I answer your question? Please mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Community Leader: Black Country PowerApps & Flow User Group

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 206 members 6,328 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: