cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MSweigart
Level: Powered On

Question about Using "Do Until" Loop for Reminders

As part of a flow I am building to create a new user request and send different parts of the process to various teams, I am using the Send Email with Options action to send each team an email instructiong them their task, with a single Option button in the email which says "Task Completed." Since this is a time sensitive process, I want to be able to send a reminder email to the teams  if that "Task Completed" button has not been clicked after 3 days, and a message to all teams involved in the process if the button still hasn't been clicked after a further 3 days.

Following the instructions in the article here - https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/PowerApps-Flow/Automating-Reminders-for-Approval-Flows/td-p/8... - I initialize a boolean variable at the beginning of the Flow for each step that is set to false. I send the email with options, and then make the next action set the variable to true, so that once the recipient clicks the "Task Completed: button, the variable should move from false to true.

I then have a parallel action that looks at the variable. Inside the Do Until loop are a 3 day delay, a send email to the single team action, another 3 day day, and then a send email to everyone action. However, when I attempt to test the Flow, it hangs on this Do Until loop. It seems like it is not re-checking the variable to see if the loop needs to continue.

Here is what one example portion of my Flow looks like:

WorkFlow 2.PNG

And here is what it looks like when I run the Flow:

WorkFlow 3.PNG

While this example has only run for 11 or so minutes, I have another example run which was stuck in this same spot for  17 hours without progressing. My Ideal would be that the Do Until look checks the variable every hour, though it should still only send the reminder emails out after every 3 days of inaction.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Question about Using "Do Until" Loop for Reminders

Hi @MSweigart,

I have analyzed your flow.

When the Do Until runs, the Initial value of boolean variable is false,so the four actions "a 3 day delay, a send email to the single team action, another 3 day day, and then a send email to everyone action" inside the Do Until would run at least one time,so even if the boolean variable is changed to true, the Do Until wouldn't re-checking for the boolean variable to see if the loop needs to continue until the four actions hsa run finished.

So your flow couldn't re-checking for the boolean variable to see if the loop needs to continue as soon as the variable is changed.

Best regards,

Alice

Mohoelx
Level: Powered On

Re: Question about Using "Do Until" Loop for Reminders

Is there a way to achieve what the original poster wants? I have a similar need - I need to establish a parallel branch to to reminders if they have not responded to the Approval request, but if they DO respond, I don't want to send them a reminder to do what they have already done!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Join us for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 102 members 4,132 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: