cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quick Parts built word files do not work on Word Online

Hi Champions,

I need your help. The flow works great in creating 1000's of files from a template- but those files when opened in browser appear with quick parts (dynamic tags) and not values. When downloaded or opened using App, they work absolutely fine.

I followed the Quick Parts method shown in this video- using this method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jrRAUky_2A&t=980s

Steps Followed

1) Created a SharePoint List (BRD Supplement Migration Data) which has those 1000 items whose values against columns needs to be migrated to sections in word template to create 1000 individual word files.

GauravG_2-1624727682394.png

2) Created a destination library (BRDSent) along with columns that I want to use as Quick Parts in Word Template

GauravG_0-1624727330394.png

2) Created a word template (BRD_Supplement_Document) upon which 1000's of copies would be created. Placed the template in BRDSent (Destination library). With the columns in list added, now when I open the word template in App- I can add all columns as Quick Parts in the template.

Inserted Quick Parts as shown in Green against all fields for which values needs to be populated

GauravG_1-1624727491892.png

4) Move the template to Template Library (which as similar columns as BRDSent Library to carry the metadata of tags used by Quick Parts) 

GauravG_3-1624727916233.png

5) Create Flow as shown below

GauravG_5-1624728002101.pngGauravG_6-1624728086082.png

GauravG_7-1624728147933.png

Note- that Outputs using Compose were used for all Quick Parts because sometimes for each item in the list, the value for some columns might be empty/ null- so I had to use this in compose for all quick parts

if(not(empty(items('Apply_to_each_2')?['Related_x0020_Table_x0020_Date_x'])),items('Apply_to_each_2')?['Related_x0020_Table_x0020_Date_x'],' ')

Issues

The word files produced in destination library (BRDSent) show values only when file is open using App or downloaded on Desktop. The browser version of the file just shows the Quick Part tags

Thanks, Can send an invite if you have few mins to help me.

Regards, GG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
2 REPLIES 2
DamoBird365
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous 

As you have discovered, quick parts are visible in Word Desktop Client Only. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/quick-parts-4ffef7c5-7596-4e95-9faf-41c771847a7b

If you convert to PDF, your data will be saved.

Damien

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Cheers,
Damien

P.S. take a look at my new blog here and like & subscribe to my YouTube Channel thanks 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

New Ideas Forum MPA.jpg

A new place to submit your Ideas for Power Automate

Announcing a new way to share your feedback with the Power Automate Team.

MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

MPA Licensing.jpg

Ask your licensing questions at the Power Automate AMA!

Join Priya Kodukula and the licensing team, super users and MVPs to find answers to your questions on Power Automate licensing.

Users online (2,602)