Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freddiejoseph1
Helper III
Helper III

Recurring flow to update modified items across two SharePoint lists

Hi all,

I currently have two different lists. A parent list and a child list if you want to call it that. The parent list is a master list which contains all information and the child list just has a few of the columns. This is for security reasons - the team with access to the child list is not allowed to see all the columns in the parent list.

I have a flow which updates the child list with the relevant information every time the parent list is modified or a new item is created there and it works perfectly. I have put some screenshots below.

My question is: I think this is quite an inefficient way of updating the child list. Lots of calls to the data etc. Would it be better to just get the flow to reoccur once a day/once a week and make all the changes in one run of the flow? I know it won't be instant but the updates are not that time critical. So an overnight update would be ok. How could I modify my current flow to be a recurring one? I have tried but cannot work it out. It seems to get stuck on a loop and never succeeds or fails.

freddiejoseph1_2-1616518406967.png

freddiejoseph1_1-1616518308737.png

Thanks,

Freddie

1 REPLY 1
PrasadAthalye
Super User
Super User

First, you will have to change the trigger to recurrence and set it to run once a day. Then you can run a GetItem on Parent List with the date filter on the modified column for todays date so that it gives you all the records created or modified today.

Then you can do another GetItems from Child and add a filter on common fields.. E.g. ParentID. If it returns data, use Update Item to update it, else Create New Item. 

Please Like and Mark this as Answer if it resolves your Issue.

Power Automate Community

Helpful resources

Announcements
Process Advisor

Introducing Process Advisor

Check out the new Process Advisor community forum board!

MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MBAS on Demand

Microsoft Business Applications Summit sessions

On-demand access to all the great content presented by the product teams and community members! #MSBizAppsSummit #CommunityRocks

Users online (79,076)