cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Raphael-1
Regular Visitor

Reminder for document expiry date (in sharepoint list) sends multiple reminders

I am very new to using power automate so apologies. 

I have set up a flow that sends a reminder 30 days before expiry but if multiple documents have the same date then I recieve the list of items due to expire multiple times? 

example 3 documents due to expire I will recieve x3 list reminders

is there a way to limit this to either 1 reminder per person/folder (or item)?    

Thanks in advance! 🙂 

Raphael-1_0-1616508277167.png

Raphael-1_1-1616508309256.png

10 REPLIES 10
annajhaveri
Super User
Super User

@Raphael-1  do you have the send email action inside apply to each action? If yes then you need to move it out of the apply to each action

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Hi @annajhaveri 

Yes I do, but I dont know how to remove it from Apply to each?

Raphael-1_2-1616517050886.png

@Raphael-1  the append to string variable, why are you using that? to create string that needs to be sent in email?

Can you expand the email action and share the screenshot of it?

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer

Hi @annajhaveri ,
see below as requsted 

Raphael-1_0-1616519765564.png

Raphael-1_1-1616519875727.png

@Raphael-1 , see that you are looping through items returned by Get Items in the apply to each action and inside that you have Send email action, so if 3 items are returned by Get Items, then 3 emails will be sent as per current flow, and i understand you just want to send one email which has details of all three items.

Before doing below steps just backup your current flow, so that you dont lose it in process of doing the changes, you can export your flow 

1. First define a variable in top of your flow give it a name like BuildTable

2. Now add Compose action under the apply to each action where you are doing append to string variable

3. Copy the value from append to string variable to compose action value and remove the existing append to string variable. 

4. Now add new Append to String variable action under compose action under apply to each action.

5. In this Append to String variable action , select BuildTable variable and provide the value as the string that you are using in the  body parameter of send email action. 

6. Now you can add Send email action just under the apply to each action and in body parameter of this action use just the buildtable variable  and the old send email action you can remove

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

Hi @annajhaveri , thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

I attempted at making the changes suggested but I seem to have run into the same issue with the multiple emails... are you able to see what action I missed from my screen shots?

Raphael-1_0-1616603244272.png

Raphael-1_1-1616603289860.png

Raphael-1_3-1616604419414.png

Are you able to show me with your screen shots?

2. Now add Compose action under the apply to each action, configure content as shown in below screenshot from your flow in this compose action

annajhaveri_0-1616666732231.png

4. In Append to String variable action under compose action under apply to each action. Select variable BuildTable and configure following content in the value (again this is screenshot from your flow)

annajhaveri_3-1616666920257.png

annajhaveri_2-1616666864057.png

In addition to this i the screenshots from your reply it looks like you are using document owner from the Get Item in the To address of email, so do you want to include each document owner in the to email address for one email?

5. In this Append to String variable action , select BuildTable variable and provide the value as the string that you are using in the  body parameter of send email action. 

6. Now you can add Send email action just under the apply to each action and in body parameter of this action use just the buildtable variable  and the old send email action you can remove

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

Hi @annajhaveri 

Hi @annajhaveri 

Raphael-1_0-1616668934785.png

Raphael-1_1-1616668934787.pngRaphael-1_2-1616668934758.png

I have tried to make the changes you have suggested but now I get the error message

The template validation failed 'Append_to_string_variable' at line '1 and column '2624' is invalid. Action 'Apply_to_each_2' must be a parent 'foreach' scope of action 'Append_to_string_variable' to be referenced by 'repeatItems' or 'items' functions.'

2. Now add Compose action under the apply to each action, configure content as shown in below screenshot from your flow in this compose action

Raphael-1_0-1616670597417.png

My Compose action does not seem to have a Value so I had to use the Inputs

4. In Append to String variable action under compose action under apply to each action. Select variable BuildTable and configure following content in the value (again this is screenshot from your flow)

Raphael-1_8-1616670115148.png

I have done this.

next 

I have done this screen shot below:

Raphael-1_9-1616670245794.png

Raphael-1
Regular Visitor

Please can anyone help with this? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA Virtual Workshop Carousel 768x460.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Power automate tips 768x460 v2.png

Restore a Deleted Flow

Did you know that you could restore a deleted flow? Check out this helpful article.

Microsoft Build 768x460.png

Microsoft Build is May 24-26. Have you registered yet?

Come together to explore latest innovations in code and application development—and gain insights from experts from around the world.

May UG Leader Call Carousel 768x460.png

What difference can a User Group make for you?

At the monthly call, connect with other leaders and find out how community makes your experience even better.

Users online (2,646)