Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Remove a single user from item permissions

Hi,

I have a flow created that on an item change will create a document library, create a folder structure within that library and on one folder breaks the permissions inheritance.

Then I have it adding a security group to that folder.

My issue is the flow adds my account to the folder permissions as a single user and I can't figure out how to remove myself from the permissions for that folder..i've seen some posts about removing a user from a group - but i just need to remove a single targeted user from the folder permissions.

Thanks!

Stephanie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

Re: Remove a single user from item permissions

In general you are going to use the RemoveRoleAssignments method in a REST call.  But its a bit trickier than that. If the permissions are assigned directly to the user then you can just remove their Role assignment for the list.  But if they get their permissions from a Group then you have an issue.  If you remove the user from the group they lose permissions provided by that group everywhere in the site collection.  If you remove the permissions from the group then everyone in the group loses permissions.  So to remove a user's permissions you would need to remove the permissions from the group and then add the permissions back for every user in the group except one.

Having said that here is the documentation that covers the REST calls you would need.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/sharepoint-rest-reference/dn5314...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

If you are the one who created the Flow then  you won’t be able to remove yourself. You need permissions there to be able to run the Flow. 

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Ok i can see that.  Do you know how to remove single users from item permissions (or point me to a blog/demo that does) as I would end up using that for other uses as well.

Highlighted
Dual Super User III
Dual Super User III

In general you are going to use the RemoveRoleAssignments method in a REST call.  But its a bit trickier than that. If the permissions are assigned directly to the user then you can just remove their Role assignment for the list.  But if they get their permissions from a Group then you have an issue.  If you remove the user from the group they lose permissions provided by that group everywhere in the site collection.  If you remove the permissions from the group then everyone in the group loses permissions.  So to remove a user's permissions you would need to remove the permissions from the group and then add the permissions back for every user in the group except one.

Having said that here is the documentation that covers the REST calls you would need.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/sharepoint-rest-reference/dn5314...

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Upcoming Events

Experience what’s next for Power Automate

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Find your favorite faces from the community presenting at the Power Platform Community Conference!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,814)