Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Remove .extension and leave the file name only

Hi there,

How do you remove an extension from 'File Name' dynamic value?

I tried doing replace but it didn't work...ext.png

Ex: File Name contains "Testing Doc.docx", I want to remove ".docx" and just leave "Testing Doc"

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Remove .extension and leave the file name only

Hi @EdwardC,

I did a test on my side and found that the File name output by the file is created in a folder is not the name of the file, more like Id.

57.PNG56.PNG

It seems that this Trigger doesn't work here. I recommend using When a file is created(properties only), you could also choose Folder here.

The Name that he outputs is the name of the file that does not contain extension.

54.PNG55.PNG

Please take a try.

Best Regards,

Barry

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

I tried and File Name for me does return a proper name...

See below:

Untitled.png

This was on an email that was sent to me from Flow. 

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @EdwardC,

I did the test on my side, Dynamic content-File name was encoded, and the encoded was removed, which is the name of the file.

14.png

If you want to remove the file extension, you could  try this expression, this applies to file hits containing multiple ".":

replace(triggerOutputs()['headers']['x-ms-file-name'],concat('.',last(split(triggerOutputs()['headers']['x-ms-file-name'],'.'))),'')

Although I am confused about configuring a file name that does not contain an extension in Get item-Id, this expression could be referred to.

Please take a try.

Best Regards,

Barry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Thanks for the expression. I'm new to this whole expression with Flow.. is this how it's supposed to be done?

expression.png

I just copied and pasted the expression in the formula field and clicked ok.

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

So youre extenion replacing expression worked.. but I guess Get Item ID requires a different value...

I tried using the File Name as the ID for Get Item and it returns false (can't find)..

id.png

Humm, this is tricky..

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @EdwardC,

So the direction you started is wrong. I also suggested in the previous post that I am confused why you should configure the file name in Get item-Id, which obviously does not get the desired result.

But your requirement is to get the file name without extension, so I provide such a method.

Or you could tell me what kind of Flow you need to create, and what kind of Flow you want to achieve.

Use When a file is created in a folder, you can't get the item ID. You could replace the trigger with When a file is created(properties only).

Then select "Enter custom value" in the Get item-List Name, fill in the Library Name, and fill the ID of the output of the Trigger in the Id.

52.PNG

Regards,

Barry

Highlighted
Helper III
Helper III

Hi Bacao,

I thought that Get ID field would work with the File Name - in theory at least. 

Basically, I want a flow to trigger to:

1. Trigger when a new File is created
  2. Send the File as Attachment on an Email to the creator

That's the quickiest summary.

But, the whole process isn't that simple.. :

1. User submits a PowerApps Form
  2. The data is stored in Item List on SharePoint
  3. A MS Flow triggers when a new item is created on the list, it pulls the data and puts it into a Word Doc and save it to a Document Library on SharePoint
  4. A different Flow triggers when a new File is created on the Document Library
  5. It'll get the File and send it as an Email attachment to the submitter

Now, since I'm the one that created all Flows, on Step 3, it'll reigster me as the one who created the file as the flow is runned by me. So, what I'm trying to do is Match the File Name with the Item List, get the email address of the submitter to send the email.

Also, I want to ensure that if two people submits the Form at the same time, it doesn't confuse which file to send to which user.

The reason why I don't use When a file is created(properties only) is because it doesn't come with File Content parameter that I need to send the doc

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,690)