Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Remove item after a reminder is sent

Hi, 

I am working in a Flow that send an email to the owner of an item telling that the item needs a revision. This email sends after 4 months since the item was created and I am using the Delay action for that. 

No I need to actually remove the item if the user has not checked it before these 4 months and I don't know how to do it. 

The list has only OOB columns and I don't want to use any custom column or calculated date column because this list will be used in a demo to show how easy is to work with SharePoint and MS Flow. 

How can I check if the user has looked at the item? 

If the user opens the item will MS Flow counts that as a "modifiy"-trigger? or the item needs to be actually updated to count as modification in MS Flow? 

It can be that the user don't need to update something and he/she just open the item and close it inmediatelly. 

Best regards

Americo

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Remove item after a reminder is sent

Viewing the document does not count as modifying the document.  This is not specific to Flow.  Rather it is a metadata point existent in the document itself and in SharePoint.  You can still open a document (view it) without a document being checked out, so that does not help.  I am not sure how to identify when a document has last been opened.  As far as I know, this is not possible.

Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @SpDev ,

As far as I know, MS Flow does not currently have such a feature.

Existing triggers basically wait for events to occur before they can trigger Flow.

Just looking viewing item can't be determined as an event.

I am afraid there is currently no suitable way to achieve such a requirement.

If you want similar functionality to be supported by MS Flow, you could post this idea in the Flow Ideas forum, and this scenario might be covered.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Flow-Ideas/idb-p/FlowIdeas

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

I have been thinking about this a little.  The requirements would be to not only know if someone opened it, but for how long, and I really do not think that is possible.  Maybe sending the email to the and latest modifier would be enough?  Depending on how you want to use it, you could set a boolean metadata point that identifies when the use of a document is done.  Probably would want the creator to do this.  Once clicked as done, you could delete it.  Or a document approval flow.  That's all I got. 

On a side note, does the delay action actually allow you to wait for 4 months?  Did you test it?  I thought a flow could only run for 30 days...

@SpDev wrote:

Hi, 

I am working in a Flow that send an email to the owner of an item telling that the item needs a revision. This email sends after 4 months since the item was created and I am using the Delay action for that. 

No I need to actually remove the item if the user has not checked it before these 4 months and I don't know how to do it. 

The list has only OOB columns and I don't want to use any custom column or calculated date column because this list will be used in a demo to show how easy is to work with SharePoint and MS Flow. 

How can I check if the user has looked at the item? 

If the user opens the item will MS Flow counts that as a "modifiy"-trigger? or the item needs to be actually updated to count as modification in MS Flow? 

It can be that the user don't need to update something and he/she just open the item and close it inmediatelly. 

Best regards

Americo

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

I will think in your propose and discuss with my colleague. 

Best regards!

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Now Live: Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (10,126)