cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bozopriester
Level: Powered On

Rename An Instant Flow?

This was an interesting one I ran into today.  I created a very simple test instant flow.  When I first created it, I wasn't paying attention and didn't provide a name for the flow, so it was going to generate one for me. 

PowerAutomateRenameInstantFlow1.png

When I started poking around in the editing/designing of the flow, I noticed something:  the Rename option was disabled.

PowerAutomateRenameInstantFlow2.png

I thought it was interesting, but it could've been because the process won't actually assign a name to my unnamed flow until I saved it.  So I added something simple and saved my flow.

PowerAutomateRenameInstantFlow3.png

When I opened up the flow again, the Rename option was still disabled.  My flow had the distinct name of "Button ->  Initialize Variable".  Argh!  I poked around a bit more, refusing to believe there was no way through the UI to rename my flow.  After a couple minutes, I found it.  You just had to click on the vertical ellipsis to the right of the flow name, click on DETAILS...

PowerAutomateRenameInstantFlow4.png

Then click on the EDIT (1) link and bingo!  There's a Flow Name field (2).  Yaaay!

PowerAutomateRenameInstantFlow5.png

Not that this question really needs to be answered, but, I wonder why they didn't just enable the Rename option upon editing the saved flow in the first place?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Rename An Instant Flow?

The rename option you are trying to use in the first screenshot is for renaming the Flow step (action or trigger), and not the Flow itself. To rename the Flow, click the Flow name in the top left of the Flow edit screen:

RenameFlow.png

To help organize your Flow, you can rename most of the steps that you add, but some of them, such as Triggers, cannot be renamed.

👨🏻‍💻 If this reply answers your question or solves your issue, please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION ☑️. If you find this reply helpful, please consider giving it a LIKE 👍.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Super User
Super User

Re: Rename An Instant Flow?

The rename option you are trying to use in the first screenshot is for renaming the Flow step (action or trigger), and not the Flow itself. To rename the Flow, click the Flow name in the top left of the Flow edit screen:

RenameFlow.png

To help organize your Flow, you can rename most of the steps that you add, but some of them, such as Triggers, cannot be renamed.

👨🏻‍💻 If this reply answers your question or solves your issue, please ACCEPT AS SOLUTION ☑️. If you find this reply helpful, please consider giving it a LIKE 👍.

View solution in original post

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

New Ranks and Rank Icons in April

Read the announcement for more information!

firstImage

Better Together Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

sixthImage

Community Summit North America

The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (8,793)