cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Regular Visitor

Renaming file where source file name varies

I am trying to build a flow to rename a source file, xlsx format.

But the filename of the source file varies each time it is created by a third party.

It is the only xlsx file in that OneDrive folder.

PA seems to require me to choose a particular file but the filename differs each day.

What do I need to add to my flow to pick up that xlsx file, irrespective of whatever it is called on that day, and rename it to the non-changing filename?  

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
Super User III
Super User III

hi @smacsween  what you can do is use expressions.

Imagine that you have this name in a propertie call FileName: myfilexample.xlsx

so you can add a compose action and inside an expression to get the filename of the file extension

Filename:

first(split('FILENAMEPROPERTIE','.'))

Fileextension:

last(split('FILENAMEPROPERTIE','.'))

If you want to see who you can add expression you can see my video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHvWuFMXhes

I hope this can helps

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA

Thanks Christian.  Your solution is good but it only works where I know the filename already.

I want the flow to search for the xlsx file - note it will be the only one of that filetype in the folder, then depending on that filename, change the filename to a new, standard filename.

For example the filenames may be 

1024535.xlsx

57232234.xlsx

and each time I run the flow, i want it to select the relevant filename and change it to "profiles.xlsx"

Any ideas? 🙂

@smacsween  ohh to find files you can use this actions to one drive or sharepoint

list.PNG

Did I answer your question? Please consider to Mark
my post as a solution! to guide others :winking_face:

Proud to be a Flownaut!

If you want you can follow me at www.christianabata.com Quieres contenido en español? Síguenos en Power Automate LA

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (11,164)