Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phildrake198
Resolver I
Resolver I

Repeating Content Control issue with Apply to Each

Hi,

I am running into an unusual issue when using Apply To Each to capture multiple related records and populating a Word template that includes the Repeating Content Control. What's happening is my values from Apply To Each are getting "duplicated" in the table in Word. So instead of the correct related records, it's showing the first record values repeating in the table. My flow runs "successfully" so I can see where the related record values are getting captured but I can't figure out why the values are getting duplicated instead of repeating the unique values like I think it should. Here are some screenshots for clarity. Is there any way around this? Possibly a way to do this without the "Apply to Each" action?:

record1.pngrecord2.pngwordtable.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
abm
Most Valuable Professional

Hi @phildrake198 

I did tried this and it is working as expected.

Could you please try the following:

1. Change the array structure as following:

Product Part Number 1 to ProductPartNumber
Description 1 to Description
Quantity1 to Quantity
Rebate1 to Rebate

2. Make sure Populate word template is outside the apply each loop

3. Open the word template.

4. Remove the current table.

5. Save the template.

6. Add a new table x 4 rows

7. Add the heading

8. Press tab (this should create new row)

9. Highlight the whole row and add repeater control

10. Select properties of the repeater control and add the name as ProductDetails and set the tag as same name.

11. Next place your cursor in first cell of the second row, add a text box, select properties and set name and tag as ProductPartNumber.

12. Move the cursor to next column. Repeat the same as step 11 for Description, Quantity and Rebate.

13. Next back to flow again and remove the current word template step.

14. Add word template again and click the T sign, this will join all the columns into one. Here place your array variable.

15. Save and run the flow.

Let me know how it goes.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
Power Automate Video Tutorials

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
efialttes
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi!

Can you share an screenshot from your flow design, so we can see the input to Apply to each etc?

The more context info we hve, the fastest to get a useful answer

Thanx!

Did I make your day? If so, mark my response as 'Solution' !!!

También escribo sobre Power Automate en este Blog y en Twitter

abm

Hi @phildrake198 

Please make sure you followed the below instructions:

Guide for using Repeating Section Content Control in the Word Online connector.

We're enabling repeating tables in the Word Online connector. When creating a template in Word, you need to add the Repeating Section Content Control. This is the control in the developer tab that helps us create a repeating table. Repeating Section Content Control enables users to repeat rows in a table and plain text. Here is a guide to work with the Repeating Section Content Control:

1. To make a template with repeating text: First add a Repeating Section Content Control from the developer tab. Then add Plain Text Content Controllers within the parent repeat content controller. Any text that is outside a nested content controller would be static. While adding the nested content controllers, make sure to go to properties and add a unique title for them. For example, if the template looks like I would like to a and b Then the user can dynamically change the values of a and b.

2. To add a repeating row to the template, simply add a table, select the full row (which you want to repeat) and select the repeat content controller from the developer tab. Now you can add nested plain text content controllers in the columns that you want to be dynamic. While adding the nested content controllers, make sure to go to properties and add a unique title for them.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Sure. Here's some more detail that will hopefully be helpful. What I'm trying to do is have it pull values from related records in Dynamics and then put those values in a table that uses a repeating content control in Word. The challenge is, when you use "Apply to Each", you can't pull values from within that Apply to Each in the Populate a Microsoft Word Template action. So what I've done to work around this is initialize a variable outside of that Apply to Each and then use "Append to Array" within the Apply to Each to call that "initialize variable". Then, in "Populate a Microsoft Word template", I can "switch to array" on the repeating content control fields and then add the variable. The problem I'm running into is it just doesn't add second set of values even though they are returned in the results.

Here are some screenshots of the flow logic for more detail. Maybe I'm doing something wrong:

productvariable.png

applytoeachcondition.pngproductvaluearray.pngpopulatewordtemplatewithvariable.png

abm

Hi @phildrake198 

Did you do the following?

While adding the nested content controllers, make sure to go to properties and add a unique title for them. 

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Yes I added titles for the controls, although I did notice that I forgot to add a title for the repeating control. So I went back and did that but it still doesn't display the data beyond that first set of values. I made sure to add my file back in and made sure the Populate a Microsoft Word Template action was updated to call the updated file. Based on what I've described, is there anything else that needs to be done here?

abm

Hi @phildrake198 

I did tried this and it is working as expected.

Could you please try the following:

1. Change the array structure as following:

Product Part Number 1 to ProductPartNumber
Description 1 to Description
Quantity1 to Quantity
Rebate1 to Rebate

2. Make sure Populate word template is outside the apply each loop

3. Open the word template.

4. Remove the current table.

5. Save the template.

6. Add a new table x 4 rows

7. Add the heading

8. Press tab (this should create new row)

9. Highlight the whole row and add repeater control

10. Select properties of the repeater control and add the name as ProductDetails and set the tag as same name.

11. Next place your cursor in first cell of the second row, add a text box, select properties and set name and tag as ProductPartNumber.

12. Move the cursor to next column. Repeat the same as step 11 for Description, Quantity and Rebate.

13. Next back to flow again and remove the current word template step.

14. Add word template again and click the T sign, this will join all the columns into one. Here place your array variable.

15. Save and run the flow.

Let me know how it goes.

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Ok that did solve the additional record values not showing up. The problem now though is both record values are being duplicated in the word doc in that table. Is yours pulling the record values from Dynamics like mine is and if so how did you get it to not duplicate? My Populate a Microsoft Word Template action is outside of that Apply to Each condition so I'm not sure why it's duplicating the values in the doc. Or is there some expression I can add that will resolve the duplicates?

abm

Hi @phildrake198 

Make sure your arrays have no duplicates. It's difficult to see without checking the runtime history and your template. I did send you an email earlier. Please check it.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Thank you! Yes, It duplicated because there was an additional "Apply to Each" at the beginning of the condition. So it was an "Apply to Each" within an Apply to Each. Once I removed that extra action, it worked.

krastevkrs1
Frequent Visitor

I had a similar problem and ended up looking at the word template. I changed the docx extension to zip and inspected the xml files. It appears that when the malfunction happens the file settings.xml file had a line for the formsDesign class.

When I deleted the line and replaced the settings.xml all content shows correctly.

Hope this helps anyone.

@krastevkrs1  Thank you for leaving this here!  It fixed the issue I was having.

This was a lifesaver, thank you for the fix krastevkrs1! I wouldn't have figured out that one on my own.

Helpful resources

Announcements

Celebrating the May Super User of the Month: Laurens Martens

@LaurensM  is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community. Super Users like Laurens inspire others through their example, encouragement, and active participation. We are excited to celebrated Laurens as our Super User of the Month for May 2024.   Consistent Engagement:  He consistently engages with the community by answering forum questions, sharing insights, and providing solutions. Laurens dedication helps other users find answers and overcome challenges.   Community Expertise: As a Super User, Laurens plays a crucial role in maintaining a knowledge sharing environment. Always ensuring a positive experience for everyone.   Leadership: He shares valuable insights on community growth, engagement, and future trends. Their contributions help shape the Power Platform Community.   Congratulations, Laurens Martens, for your outstanding work! Keep inspiring others and making a difference in the community!   Keep up the fantastic work!        

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook today!

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Copilot Studio Community. We can't wait for you to share your expertise and your experience!    Join us for an amazing opportunity where you'll be one of the first to contribute to the Copilot Cookbook—your ultimate guide to mastering Microsoft Copilot. Whether you're seeking inspiration or grappling with a challenge while crafting apps, you probably already know that Copilot Cookbook is your reliable assistant, offering a wealth of tips and tricks at your fingertips--and we want you to add your expertise. What can you "cook" up?   Click this link to get started: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Gallery   Don't miss out on this exclusive opportunity to be one of the first in the Community to share your app creation journey with Copilot. We'll be announcing a Cookbook Challenge very soon and want to make sure you one of the first "cooks" in the kitchen.   Don't miss your moment--start submitting in the Copilot Cookbook Gallery today!     Thank you,  Engagement Team

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Check Out the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community.  We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Welcome to the Power Automate Community

You are now a part of a fast-growing vibrant group of peers and industry experts who are here to network, share knowledge, and even have a little fun.   Now that you are a member, you can enjoy the following resources:   Welcome to the Community   News & Announcements: The is your place to get all the latest news around community events and announcements. This is where we share with the community what is going on and how to participate.  Be sure to subscribe to this board and not miss an announcement.   Get Help with Power Automate Forums: If you're looking for support with any part of Power Automate, our forums are the place to go. From General Power Automate forums to Using Connectors, Building Flows and Using Flows.  You will find thousands of technical professionals, and Super Users with years of experience who are ready and eager to answer your questions. You now have the ability to post, reply and give "kudos" on the Power Automate community forums. Make sure you conduct a quick search before creating a new post because your question may have already been asked and answered. Galleries: The galleries are full of content and can assist you with information on creating a flow in our Webinars and Video Gallery, and the ability to share the flows you have created in the Power Automate Cookbook.  Stay connected with the Community Connections & How-To Videos from the Microsoft Community Team. Check out the awesome content being shared there today.   Power Automate Community Blog: Over the years, more than 700 Power Automate Community Blog articles have been written and published by our thriving community. Our community members have learned some excellent tips and have keen insights on the future of process automation. In the Power Automate Community Blog, you can read the latest Power Automate-related posts from our community blog authors around the world. Let us know if you'd like to become an author and contribute your own writing — everything Power Automate-related is welcome.   Community Support: Check out and learn more about Using the Community for tips & tricks. Let us know in the Community Feedback  board if you have any questions or comments about your community experience. Again, we are so excited to welcome you to the Microsoft Power Automate community family. Whether you are brand new to the world of process automation or you are a seasoned Power Automate veteran - our goal is to shape the community to be your 'go to' for support, networking, education, inspiration and encouragement as we enjoy this adventure together.     Power Automate Community Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip | How to Report Spam in Our Community

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: How to Report Spam in Our Community We strive to maintain a professional and helpful community, and part of that effort involves keeping our platform free of spam. If you encounter a post that you believe is spam, please follow these steps to report it: Locate the Post: Find the post in question within the community.Kebab Menu: Click on the "Kebab" menu | 3 Dots, on the top right of the post.Report Inappropriate Content: Select "Report Inappropriate Content" from the menu.Submit Report: Fill out any necessary details on the form and submit your report.   Our community team will review the report and take appropriate action to ensure our community remains a valuable resource for everyone.   Thank you for helping us keep the community clean and useful!

Users online (4,379)