cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gigaenvy
Level: Powered On

Reply to Flow email and attach file to SP List ID

Hi,

I have everything working between Forms, SPO, and Flow emails to recipient. What I am trying to do but have not been successful is to be able to Reply to the MS Flow email that was sent and add file attachments (one or more) which will be attached to the SP List ID entry.

Does anyone have a quick solution so the user does not need to go to the SP entry and manually attach files.

Thanks,

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Reply to Flow email and attach file to SP List ID

@Gigaenvy 

In order to accomplish you goal, you'll need to specifically identify the list item which relates to the email.  You could, for example, include the ID in the subject line:

Subject:  Congratulations! Your PO was approved ID=2

Then you could use string expressions to parse out the ID - you can take it from there.

You could also include the ID in the email and parse it out.

That said, I think this is a bad idea as the user can always change the subject and body of the email.

A better way might be to include a link to the edit form for the specific list item in the email:

https://Your_URL/sittes/Your_Site/Lists/Your_List/editform.aspx?ID=2

Rather than the number 2, you will reference the ID column from dynamic properties.

I understand that this still takes the user to the SharePoint site, but they go directly to the edit form with no additional mouse clicks.  I prefer this method as it is reasonably bulletproof.

Let me know if you need an example for either of these techniques.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott
4 REPLIES 4
Super User
Super User

@Gigaenvy 

Please post a screen shot of your Flow as it exists now - that will be a big help to others trying to assist.  Also, can you provide some additional detail on what you are trying to accomplish.  For example, you mention an email sent by Flow.  Will the email have a unique subject line?

Scott
Gigaenvy

Here it is. The flow sends an email to manager who approves or denies the request. In either Approve or Deny condition scenario the Comments may ask for the receiver of the email to reply and attach contract file documents. What I am trying to do is update the SP List ID through email rather than having the user go to the SP sites List ID and attach the files. There is no need for the user to go to the SP site. 

I am trying a workaround to the long-standing limitation of MS Forms not having a file upload feature. If they did this would be a moot point ; )

flowhelp.png

Thanks,

Super User
Super User

@Gigaenvy 

In order to accomplish you goal, you'll need to specifically identify the list item which relates to the email.  You could, for example, include the ID in the subject line:

Subject:  Congratulations! Your PO was approved ID=2

Then you could use string expressions to parse out the ID - you can take it from there.

You could also include the ID in the email and parse it out.

That said, I think this is a bad idea as the user can always change the subject and body of the email.

A better way might be to include a link to the edit form for the specific list item in the email:

https://Your_URL/sittes/Your_Site/Lists/Your_List/editform.aspx?ID=2

Rather than the number 2, you will reference the ID column from dynamic properties.

I understand that this still takes the user to the SharePoint site, but they go directly to the edit form with no additional mouse clicks.  I prefer this method as it is reasonably bulletproof.

Let me know if you need an example for either of these techniques.

Scott
Gigaenvy

Hey thanks and that's where I was already making the changes to give them a big bold html ref to the Edit Forms (Edit your PO) url with dynamic ID.

Thanks again for being on the same page Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Microsoft Business Applications Virtual Launch Event

Watch the event on demand for an in-depth look at the new innovations across Dynamics 365 and the Microsoft Power Platform.

firstImage

Watch Sessions On Demand!

Continue your learning in our online communities.

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Power Platform 2019 Release Wave 2 Plan

Features releasing from October 2019 through March 2020.

thirdimage

Flow Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Flow Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 255 members 3,838 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: