cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
grhsVman
Helper I
Helper I

Required Lookup Field(s) Problems in Create Item Action

When I use the SPO "Create item" action against an SPO List that has a required lookup column, I get this type of error:

example of required lookup errorexample of required lookup error

I have found MS documentation that indicates multiple select lookup columns are not supported, nor are list that contain more than 12 lookup columns. In the above example, neither of these would apply.

I have read that some folks just remove the Required constraint on the offensive field. While that, to me, is not a resolution but a workaround, it still doesn't resolve the problem.

When I remove the "required" constraint, the lookup column does not appear in the Create Item Action to value it. Here is example (note that the "Service" field that caused the error in the previous screenshot does not appear here):

example of constraint removedexample of constraint removed

So are lookup columns supported in Power Automate? Required lookup columns? Why do they not appear in Create Item action if they are not required (but err out if required)?

4 REPLIES 4
ScottShearer
Super User
Super User

@grhsVman 

You might try using the Send an HTTP request to SharePoint action rather than Create item.  Here is a link that will get you started.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Thanks for the workaround. When I get a chance, I'll try to work through it, especially if MS doesn't support lookup fields in Create Item action.

Any insight into whether or not the Create item action should be working with Lookup fields, or is this working as designed (i.e., MS doesn't support lookup fields in any context in a Create item action)?

@grhsVman 

Lookup columns are supported.  I believe that the error message is a little misleading and the actual issue is not your lookup column directly.  For example, a person or group column is actually a lookup column and counts toward the limit on the number of lookup columns.

When you add and make changed to SharePoint lists and columns, I have noticed that Flow is sometimes slow to update.  Sometimes, I need to remove the action, save, and then edit and add the action back in order to see list changes.  

I ran a quick test with a simple list with one lookup.  I did notice that even though I made my lookup required that Flow did not show it as required.  I even created a new Flow and added a new create item action - still did not show as required.  That said, I did see the column and was able to successfully create an item with the action.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

Thanks for the info. I'm able to reproduce this on the same site with different lists, very simple ones. I'll try a different site and see if I run into the same problem. Maybe the issue is scoped to that site.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Power Automate News & Announcements

Power Automate News & Announcements

Keep up to date with current events and community announcements in the Power Automate community.

Power Automate Community Blog

Power Automate Community Blog

Check out the latest Community Blog from the community!

Top Solution Authors
Users online (7,621)