Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Restart Approval Step

Hello everyone,

I created a Flow with multiple approvals by different managers in my company. The Flow is supposed to replace a process with a lot of printed forms and documents. (screenshot done below)

The trrigger for the flow is a new item in a sharepoint list.

In our company it is quite common, that during the process of the aprroval, someone notices that a certain document or piece of information is missing in the approval and needs to be added. Thereofre i added a third Approval option 1. Approve - 2. Reject - 3. Update Approval (shown in screenshot below).Approval option 1. Approve - 2. Reject - 3. Update Approval (shown in screenshot below). If the third option was choosen the Creator ...for the approval item receives an email with the request to update the missing information/ documents.

How can i restart/ retry/ connect the previous approval step without restarting the entire flow ?

Really looking forwarard to hearing your advice

Max

Flow.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Re: Restart Approval Step

@HelplessMax

One way to approach this would be to use a variable and put the approval inside of a loop - see my example below.

I use a boolean variable that is initalized to false.  When the item is approved or rejected I set the variable to true.  The loop will continue until the variable is set to true.  You'll want to add additional actions on both sides of the condition.

ActionTaken.jpgActionTaken1.jpg 

Please be sure to click on "change limits" in the loop - the default timeout is 1 hour and yoy'll want to change that.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

@HelplessMax

One way to approach this would be to use a variable and put the approval inside of a loop - see my example below.

I use a boolean variable that is initalized to false.  When the item is approved or rejected I set the variable to true.  The loop will continue until the variable is set to true.  You'll want to add additional actions on both sides of the condition.

ActionTaken.jpgActionTaken1.jpg 

Please be sure to click on "change limits" in the loop - the default timeout is 1 hour and yoy'll want to change that.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Scott

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@ScottShearer

Hey Scott,

thank you very much for your quick asnwer. I will try that out tomorrow morning in the office and i will let you know what the outcome is.

Thanks again and talk to you tomorrow.

Max 

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Good morning Scott,

works perfectly fine ! Thanks again four your rapid answer and the amazing despriction!

Best regards

Max 

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Hey Scott,

thanks again four your help! I got one short question concerning the "run until" step though:

what do i have to fill in the "count" and "timout" fields when I want to achieve the follwoing:

The approval step should run for 20 days (so i guess Timeout should be: P20D) and i want to receive the approval email every second day ( kind of as a reminder), so does the "count" has to equal 10 ?un until flow.PNG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Power Platform ISV Studio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is designed to become the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage published applications.

Tech Marathon

Maratón de Soluciones de Negocio Microsoft

Una semana de contenido con +100 sesiones educativas, consultorios, +10 workshops Premium, Hackaton, EXPO, Networking Hall y mucho más!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (7,215)