cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martin_MC
Helper II
Helper II

Retrieve List of Users from Separate List to Send Approval

Hi there. I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction here; searching didn't immediately bring an answer so may as well ask here.

I have a flow which connects to a SharePoint list with trigger 'When Item is Created or Modified'.

One of the early steps I'd like to happen in this flow is for the flow to go and fetch a list of users who exist on a separate SharePoint list within the same site in order to send an approval email to that list of users.

Is there a simple and easy method of doing this? Such functions as the Office 365 'Search for Users' function only seems to pull data from the underlying trigger list, and doesn't show an obvious way of retrieving a list of users from a different list.

Thanks in advance for any information.

5 REPLIES 5
annajhaveri
Super User
Super User

@Martin_MC  so i understand that approvers are stored in separate SharePoint list and you want to fetch data from that SharePoint list, use Get Items action in order to fetch approvers from another SharePoint list.

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer
If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

Hi! And thanks a lot for this info. Before I close out and / or test it, can you say whether or not the list of users pulled from a list via Get Items will then need to be translated into 'Users' by filtering through something like 'Search for Users', or do you think the 'Get Items' result will be enough to use as the recipient for a future approval email?

@Martin_MC  that would depend on the way information about users is stored in list. Are you storing email address or have person type of column to store approver name in the list?

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

If I have answered your question, please mark the post as Solved to help other users to identify the correct answer

Hi. The list consists of 3 columns;

First Name

Last Name

Email Address

I guess 'Get Items' probably wouldn't decipher on it's own how to send to these people.

@Martin_MC  please configure the Get Items and related actions as follows:

annajhaveri_1-1613651738723.png

1. First add Get Items action, select the SharePoint site and list

2. Add select action and in the from property select the value (list of items) from Dynamic Content -> Get Items action. In the Map property, select on the icon annajhaveri_2-1613651837448.png and provide the value in format "<select the Email Address column here from Dynamic content - get items >", as shown in above screenshot.

3. Add Compose action and configure following expression in compose action using Dynamic Content -> expression tab. Replace Select_2 based on the name of your select action, for me Select action name is Select 2 so i have Select_2 in expression.

join(body('Select_2'),';')

4. Then use output of Compose action in the Assigned to parameter of approval action.

Regards,
Anna Jhaveri

Helpful resources

Announcements
MPA User Group

Welcome to the User Group Public Preview

Check out new user group experience and if you are a leader please create your group

MSFTBizAppsLaunchEvent

Experience what’s next for Power Virtual Agents

See the latest Power Automate innovations, updates, and demos from the Microsoft Business Applications Launch Event.

New Super Users

Meet the Power Automate Super Users!

Many congratulations to the Season 1 2021 Flownaut Crew!

Power Platform ISV STudio

Power Platform ISV Studio

ISV Studio is the go-to Power Platform destination for ISV’s to monitor & manage applications post-AppSource publish.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (105,782)