cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geotech
Frequent Visitor

Retrieve rows from pivot table

All,

I have completed my Flow, but one of the steps results in an error. When I attempt to use the Excel: Get Rows action for a named pivot table in a spreadsheet, the action does not recognize the table name. Are pivot tables excluded from Excel actions? If so, is there a known workaround for this issue? My spreadsheet queries an external source which is then summarized in a pivot table. I'm attempting to extract the pivot table row values and insert them into an email all via a Flow. 

Your help is much appreciated, thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3
v-micsh-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @geotech,

The Excel Connector can't work with Pivot table.

The workable Excel table under Excel Connector is the following (Data Table):

Overview of Excel tables

You may need to first 'Copy' the Value from the Pivot table into an actual data table, then use the data table as the data source under Microsoft Flow.

Then follow my reply in the following thread to configure the Flow:

Read rows Excel and send mail

Regards,

Michael

Community Support Team _ Michael Shao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-micsh-msft, thank you for your response. The pivot table that I have is updated periodically and, without creating a macro, it does not seem possible to have an Excel table that mimics the pivot table. Are you aware of any workarounds for this that would not require a macro? 

geotech
Frequent Visitor

@v-micsh-msft, I was able to change the way my data source is fed into my spreadsheet and I'm able to use Excel tables as opposed to pivot tables. I followed your directions using the link you provided for the rest of the flow and I'm sucessfully able to produce an email with the table. I am having one minor issue related to the format of the date column in my table. I found a few resources that referenced the Compose action in order to format the date without the time stamp using: formatDateTime(item()?['Blocked_Date'],'MM/DD/YYYY'). The issue I'm having is that I'm not sure how to place the Compose action in the flow for it to properly format the column. I understand that the results from the Compose action are not currently being used in the flow. I've tried using the formatting above within the Select action, but that does not appear to work. I've also tried using the results from the Compose action in the Select action with no positive results. Do you know how I can incoprorate this formatting correctly?

Here's my flow:

EmailFlow.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
UG GA Amplification 768x460.png

Launching new user group features

Learn how to create your own user groups today!

Community Connections 768x460.jpg

Community & How To Videos

Check out the new Power Platform Community Connections gallery!

M365 768x460.jpg

Microsoft 365 Collaboration Conference | December 7–9, 2021

Join us, in-person, December 7–9 in Las Vegas, for the largest gathering of the Microsoft community in the world.

Top Solution Authors
Users online (3,237)