cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LeanderStuder
Level: Powered On

Run After if part of paralell flow has succeeded

Hey there,

I have a flow which runs on a document library and after one approval got accepted it updates the status of the document and starts the next approval.

As it sometimes happens that the documents are locked because the user still works in it flow can't update the status of the document stored on SharePoint. The action "Update file properties 4" fails. It then sends the user a mail and tryies to update the file every 10minues. It stehn resets the variable "is_failed and "Condition 5" should start running.

But if the action "Update file properties 4" succeeds it just does the "Get file properties" action to fill a paralell branch and Condition 5 should run afterwards.

Flow1.pngFlow Edit View

But what I've just seen baffles me as it has worked before when I tested it.

The flow action "Condition 5" fails even if 1 of his run-after conditions is true.

Flow2.pngFlow Run Log View

Most likely my initial design of this exception-handler is just wrong and there is a better way to do it. I would more than likely accept a way to change this exception-handler to something different which doesn't need a 10-min-delay or even could ignore the fact that the document is locked and still updates the status.

Thank you very much for you help 🙂

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Super User
Super User

Re: Run After if part of paralell flow has succeeded

In your second screenshot the parallel actions never completes and the Condition 5 is never run. It has not failed it simply hasn't run yet. Constion 5 will not run until the parallel branches have completed.

I would probably rebuild your flow to follow the try-catch pattern.

View solution in original post

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @LeanderStuder,

I agree with @Pieter_Veenstra's suggestion to use the Try, Catch, Finally  construction in microsoft flow.

Also you could add the actions (Such as your Condition 5) both under the "Get file properties" and "Get file properties 7" action.

Best regards,

Alice

3 REPLIES 3
Super User
Super User

In your second screenshot the parallel actions never completes and the Condition 5 is never run. It has not failed it simply hasn't run yet. Constion 5 will not run until the parallel branches have completed.

I would probably rebuild your flow to follow the try-catch pattern.

Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi @LeanderStuder,

I agree with @Pieter_Veenstra's suggestion to use the Try, Catch, Finally  construction in microsoft flow.

Also you could add the actions (Such as your Condition 5) both under the "Get file properties" and "Get file properties 7" action.

Best regards,

Alice

LeanderStuder
Level: Powered On

Thank you very much @Pieter_Veenstra and @v-yuazh-msft, I'm at the moment implementing this Try-Catch-Pattern, this solves my problem way smoother.

Probably you know a way I could run the "do until" but at the same time start with "Condition 5" to prevent the delay as the update file properties is more cosmetic, it just updates the status...

Best, Leander

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (5,437)