cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ishraqiyun77
Resolver I
Resolver I

Run Flow only if other Flow has finished running

Trying to break my Flow up into smaller pieces because it takes like 30 minutes to run. Working with Dynamics 365.

I want an Update Flow to run only after the Create Flow has finished running. So at the end of the Create, it should call a number of other Update Flows to run.

The issue with doing something like having the Create Flow update a field in Dynamics 365 to trigger the Update Flows, is that if the user Creates a record, and then updates it immediately afterwards, the Create Flow is likely still running, so when they immediately Update the record after Creating, it will trigger these Update Flows, they'll fail and won't be called again.

So is there a way to call other Flows after one has successfully finished running?

5 REPLIES 5
abm
Super User
Super User

Hi @ishraqiyun77 

You  can build your child flow (update) using the following triggers. In your case most likely option 1 or 3 is the best.

1. Manually trigger a flow (under the Flow button for mobile).
  2. Power Apps.
  3. When an HTTP request is received (available only on the premium HTTP request/response connector).

Then from your parent flow (Create) call the child flow using Run a child flow action step. Here you can pass your input if you using option 1 or option 3 HTTP request in your body or header as parameters.

image.png

Thanks

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

If you liked my response, please consider giving it a thumbs up

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog
Power Automate Video Tutorials

HI, thanks for the feedback. It does not appear that I have any action available to me called "Run a Child Flow". Also, in my case, I'd like it all to be automated and not a manual trigger.

Hi @ishraqiyun77 

Here it is. You need to create a solution first. Without solution this feature is not available.

image.png

You can call the child flows from a parent flow which is automated or manual. The whole idea of running a child flow is separating the logic into small flows which is more easier to manage and maintain.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

According to Power Automate, I have at least 60 solutions. Perhaps some clarity can be added to the documentation about what solution to use, etc. At any rate, despite having +60 solutions there still is no option. But I'm not trying to manually trigger calling the child Flow with a button, so not sure I want this anyway.

Hi @ishraqiyun77 

Solutions can have more than one flows. The whole idea of creating solution is you can keep the related components together in one place so that its easy to manage and maintain it. Generally child flows are called from one main flow which can have one automated trigger or manual depending the requirement. I have recently designed quite a complex flow solution which contains around 20 flows. Here I have only one solution which contains all 20 flows. The main flow trigger is a scheduled trigger which calls other 19 child flows depends the business logic. 

If you want to explore more on this I am happy to have a chat or screen share to share my experience.

Thanks

Proud to be a Flownaut!

Learn more from my blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

September Events 2022

Check out all of these events

Attend in person or online, there are incredible conferences and events happening all throughout the month of September.

Users online (4,594)