Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
hjaf
Level: Powered On

Run on skipped not as expected when used in "branching"

The following step is a workaround for the apparent issue

image.png

The "Load SCOPES success" step is set to run when either of the two previous step are skipped or successful. A skipped step usually have the dark grey X icon, but in this case it still interprets the other branch to fail unless I add another step at the end of that branch that has the same run on skipped or success as the step that merges the two. 

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Re: Run on skipped not as expected when used in "branching"

Hi @hjaf ,

If you configure Configure run after of the action under the two branches, you need to consider the results of the last action of the two branches.

The logic is to satisfy one of the specified execution results of one of the action, and also satisfy one of the execution results of the other action. When these two conditions are met, the specified action can be executed. Like:

130.PNG

Also, note that the result of the action execution cannot be set, we can only decide if it needs to be executed.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Barry
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
hjaf
Level: Powered On

Re: Run on skipped not as expected when used in "branching"

Not entirely sure what you mean by the "last action", you mean the last action in the branches? If that is the case, then the problem is still valid. As I tried to describe in the initial post, the workaround is having a arbitrary step that is part of the branch with the same run after as what I was trying to do with the action that runs on the outcome of both branches. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this, I appreciate any clarification you can provide ! 😄  

I set both of the steps in the run after if skipped or successful of the last step of the two branches. My interpretation then is that its looking at both of the steps outcome and if either of them are successful or skipped it should run. If any of the two branches last action give a different status than skipped or successful, it will not run, but if both are skipped it would never reach the action anyway and the last action is also not run.

A different scenario:
Branch A (action 1 fails, action 2 not run because 1 fails), will action 2 give a skipped or failed status?

Branch B (action 1 successful, action 2 succeeds), action 2 will obviously give a successful status.

Downstream "trunk" action will have run after set to Branch A action 2 both successful or skipped, Branch B action 2 both successful or skipped. 

I would understand if there was a kind of third exit status like "skipped due to failure" and a way that this would be indicated in the run log. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors (Last 30 Days)
Users online (3,839)