cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chipper
Advocate II
Advocate II

Running a script is hit and miss.

I have a flow that starts when I new file is created.  Turns the CSV into an excel file, saves it to a one drive folder and then runs a script to clean up the file.  All of it works, up to the part of running the script.  If I open the file in Excel Online and run the script, all is good.  But when the flow tries to run it, I get this error.

We were unable to run the script. Please try again.
Workbook not found.
clientRequestId: f6513d18-324b-4f26-9544-d17c6a53d539

This is the raw output.

{
    "statusCode": 404,
    "headers": {
        "Access-Control-Expose-Headers": "Version",
        "x-ms-workflow-name": "****************************",
        "Version": "2.5",
        "x-ms-client-request-id": "****************************",
        "x-ms-request-id": "****************************",
        "Strict-Transport-Security": "max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains",
        "X-Content-Type-Options": "nosniff",
        "X-Frame-Options": "DENY",
        "Timing-Allow-Origin": "*",
        "x-ms-apihub-cached-response": "true",
        "Cache-Control": "no-store, no-cache",
        "Date": "Fri, 21 May 2021 14:23:44 GMT",
        "Content-Length": "165",
        "Content-Type": "application/json"
    },
    "body": {
        "message": "We were unable to run the script. Please try again.\nWorkbook not found.\r\nclientRequestId: f6513d18-324b-4f26-9544-d17c6a53d539",
        "logs": []
    }
}

Now, if I go back in and redrill back to the file again, all runs well

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 10.32.24 AM.png

{
    "statusCode": 200,
    "headers": {
        "Transfer-Encoding": "chunked",
        "Vary": "Accept-Encoding",
        "Access-Control-Expose-Headers": "Version",
        "x-ms-workflow-name": "*****************************",
        "Version": "2.5",
        "x-ms-client-request-id": "*****************************",
        "x-ms-request-id": "*****************************",
        "Strict-Transport-Security": "max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains",
        "X-Content-Type-Options": "nosniff",
        "X-Frame-Options": "DENY",
        "Cache-Control": "no-store, no-cache",
        "Set-Cookie": "ARRAffinity=fbf12317b41409d837dc9258ca2fd506a0e78d7705046af5c2a888ad2128246d;Path=/;HttpOnly;Secure;Domain=excelonline-eus.azconn-eus.p.azurewebsites.net,ARRAffinitySameSite=fbf12317b41409d837dc9258ca2fd506a0e78d7705046af5c2a888ad2128246d;Path=/;HttpOnly;SameSite=None;Secure;Domain=excelonline-eus.azconn-eus.p.azurewebsites.net",
        "Timing-Allow-Origin": "*",
        "x-ms-apihub-cached-response": "false",
        "Date": "Fri, 21 May 2021 14:31:46 GMT",
        "Content-Type": "application/json; charset=utf-8",
        "Content-Length": "25"
    },
    "body": {
        "logs": []
    }

So I think it has something to do with the "File" portion of the excel part of the flow.  It is using the file ID instead of just the file name?

Any thoughts on how to get around this?

Thanks

Chip

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Chipper
Advocate II
Advocate II

I think I have figured this one out.  The Excel step for running a script does appear to use the file ID instead of the file name.  After running into some other issues with other triggers, I learned how to use "Get file metadata using path".  This one is different than using "Get File Metadata".  The second one uses the file ID to get the info, the first one uses the path to get the info and disregards the file ID.

This is the steps that I used.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 8.27.36 AM.png

I have run this one several times on different files and so far it works.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
automate1t
Regular Visitor

I am also running up against this issue. I have an Excel spreadsheet which comes in daily which I save to OneDrive using Power Automate. I have an Office Script which then re-formats the file and I then need to distribute that file to a number of people. The issue is that when you use Power Automate to run the script even though you choose the file the script is actually looking for a specific file ID rather than the a file with a particular name. The result is that when the new file is saved in OneDrive it gets a new ID and the script then fails. For me it seems a really big problem because you either have to manually intervene to copy the data into the existing file or run the Office Script manually. In either case the automation bit goes out the window. I cannot see any good ways to achieve the automation I desire as the options for Excel in Power Automate are quite limited.

Chipper
Advocate II
Advocate II

Was wondering if anyone else had any thougth?

AlaskanPowrUser
Frequent Visitor

also looking for a solution to this. 

AlaskanPowrUser
Frequent Visitor

Screen Shot 2021-07-11 at 3.42.39 PM.png

This is the script. Pretty basic. 

Chipper
Advocate II
Advocate II

I have a feeling that what we are going to have to do is create a blank worksheet. Then use power automate to populate that worksheet. Then run our script. 

Then, on the next day, clear that worksheet, and run the script again. 

AlaskanPowrUser
Frequent Visitor

I have a slight variation, But i'm running across the same error executing a script. 

I receive an .xlsx via email, and I am unable to change the fact that the data within is not in a formatted table. So I'm in a rough spot, because (to my understanding) I am unable to read excel data unless it's in a table. 

The goal here, was to use power automate to trigger on receiving an email, pull the attachment, create file using content bytes, then run a script that simply turns a consistent set of columns into a table 200 rows down always (30 should be fine, buffer) and THEN I can get rows from that newly created excel table, and start backing up the data to a sharepoint list (eventually an sql table, but sharepoint for demo purposes) 

Chipper
Advocate II
Advocate II

I think I have figured this one out.  The Excel step for running a script does appear to use the file ID instead of the file name.  After running into some other issues with other triggers, I learned how to use "Get file metadata using path".  This one is different than using "Get File Metadata".  The second one uses the file ID to get the info, the first one uses the path to get the info and disregards the file ID.

This is the steps that I used.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 8.27.36 AM.png

I have run this one several times on different files and so far it works.

berandomsen
Frequent Visitor

I have experienced something similar, but I think its a bug in Power Automate, I can replicate it too. 

I had one Run Script that just did not work, when all the other Run Script actions worked fine doing the same exact thing.  Nothing I did worked, and it wasn't logical. 

My solution was to delete the Run Script, add the action back in re-enter the fields, it worked after that.  The problem seems to be changing the Document it points to after the action has already been created, it will no longer read Excel Files after this.  The current solution proposed would work because they're creating a new action, and are discarding the defunct one. 

Chipper
Advocate II
Advocate II

I think I am following you.  And I think I figured out the same thing as you did.  You have to use the file ID for the file section.  Otherwise if the file changes, it won't take it.  Even if the file name doesn't change, the file ID still does.

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 11.06.12 AM.png

When you start messing with tables in your excel files, it can also be a pain.

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 11.16.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 11.17.43 AM.png

 But once the file changes, it doesn't work because the file ID changes. So, you add the function of ID in the field, the Table and Key Columns don't show up.

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 11.22.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 11.22.52 AM.png

 You have to type in the table name and make sure the down arrow turns into an "X".

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 11.26.30 AM.png

Now when the file ID changes, the scripts will still run and the table and key column will still run also.

I had the problem and found your post. I swapped the path to the workbook with File ID. It worked beautifully!

You saved my day!! Many thanks.

Yep, for some reason, it is rather particular about those IDs.

pg2020
Helper I
Helper I

Dear Chipper : YOU ARE MY HERO!! 🙂

I've been working on this error for days.

I am currently trying to implement the following links: (Official instructions from Microsoft ! )

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dev/scripts/resources/samples/convert-csv

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/office/dev/scripts/resources/samples/combine-worksheets-into-singl...

The second link describes exactly how to specify a output file in the the Excel script 2.

In the first run, the script and the flow works.
Not in the next round.

My findings and please Microsoft READ THIS! :

First, there is a major limitation of the Excel Connector:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/excelonlinebusiness/

An Excel file may be locked for an update or delete up to 6 minutes since the last use of the connector.

And instead of as described in Microsofts instructions to select a Destination file, I did the following:

I start a copy process that copies an empty Excel file to the destination at the beginning of the flow.
And later in the Excel script I take the ID of the Copy file instead of the file name. 
So the Excel script 2 always takes the new destination xlsx file that was previously copied.

I also have to consider the 6-minute suspension. The target file is then blocked for 6 minutes. If you want to move it or overwrite it, you have to wait 6 minutes or more.

03.jpg

PLEASE MICROSOFT : Think things through

zak325

Thanks so much for this! Was having a similar issue where the Excel was being emptied then populated but at times the scripts couldn't run because I'm guessing the above file Id issue. I just added a step like you showed above and re-run it with no issues!

Hi,

I am using exactly the same steps mentioned by you using "Get File Metadata using path" and then passing the ID to the Run script, but i keep getting this error "The file format is not recognized. Please check that the selected workbook is valid.".

I have tried to open the file that was created using "Create File" just above the "Get File Metadata using path" and it is all fine. The format is correct and so is the extension. Can you please suggest what could be wrong here?

Thanks

Sujith

Can you post some screen shots?

Inside the "Create File", make sure you have the extension after what ever you call it.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 12.20.31 PM.png

SujithNarayanan
Frequent Visitor

Yes, i have given the extension in the create file and also used the ID from the "Get File Metadata using path", in the Run Script. However, I am still getting the error -  "The file format is not recognized. Please check that the selected workbook is valid." 

SujithNarayanan_0-1710961249628.png

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 3.10.47 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-20 at 3.22.49 PM.pngScreenshot 2024-03-20 at 3.24.19 PM.png

Helpful resources

Announcements

Celebrating the May Super User of the Month: Laurens Martens

@LaurensM  is an exceptional contributor to the Power Platform Community. Super Users like Laurens inspire others through their example, encouragement, and active participation. We are excited to celebrated Laurens as our Super User of the Month for May 2024.   Consistent Engagement:  He consistently engages with the community by answering forum questions, sharing insights, and providing solutions. Laurens dedication helps other users find answers and overcome challenges.   Community Expertise: As a Super User, Laurens plays a crucial role in maintaining a knowledge sharing environment. Always ensuring a positive experience for everyone.   Leadership: He shares valuable insights on community growth, engagement, and future trends. Their contributions help shape the Power Platform Community.   Congratulations, Laurens Martens, for your outstanding work! Keep inspiring others and making a difference in the community!   Keep up the fantastic work!        

Check out the Copilot Studio Cookbook today!

We are excited to announce our new Copilot Cookbook Gallery in the Copilot Studio Community. We can't wait for you to share your expertise and your experience!    Join us for an amazing opportunity where you'll be one of the first to contribute to the Copilot Cookbook—your ultimate guide to mastering Microsoft Copilot. Whether you're seeking inspiration or grappling with a challenge while crafting apps, you probably already know that Copilot Cookbook is your reliable assistant, offering a wealth of tips and tricks at your fingertips--and we want you to add your expertise. What can you "cook" up?   Click this link to get started: https://aka.ms/CS_Copilot_Cookbook_Gallery   Don't miss out on this exclusive opportunity to be one of the first in the Community to share your app creation journey with Copilot. We'll be announcing a Cookbook Challenge very soon and want to make sure you one of the first "cooks" in the kitchen.   Don't miss your moment--start submitting in the Copilot Cookbook Gallery today!     Thank you,  Engagement Team

Announcing Power Apps Copilot Cookbook Gallery

We are excited to share that the all-new Copilot Cookbook Gallery for Power Apps is now available in the Power Apps Community, full of tips and tricks on how to best use Microsoft Copilot as you develop and create in Power Apps. The new Copilot Cookbook is your go-to resource when you need inspiration--or when you're stuck--and aren't sure how to best partner with Copilot while creating apps.   Whether you're looking for the best prompts or just want to know about responsible AI use, visit Copilot Cookbook for regular updates you can rely on--while also serving up some of your greatest tips and tricks for the Community. Check Out the new Copilot Cookbook for Power Apps today: Copilot Cookbook - Power Platform Community.  We can't wait to see what you "cook" up!    

Welcome to the Power Automate Community

You are now a part of a fast-growing vibrant group of peers and industry experts who are here to network, share knowledge, and even have a little fun.   Now that you are a member, you can enjoy the following resources:   Welcome to the Community   News & Announcements: The is your place to get all the latest news around community events and announcements. This is where we share with the community what is going on and how to participate.  Be sure to subscribe to this board and not miss an announcement.   Get Help with Power Automate Forums: If you're looking for support with any part of Power Automate, our forums are the place to go. From General Power Automate forums to Using Connectors, Building Flows and Using Flows.  You will find thousands of technical professionals, and Super Users with years of experience who are ready and eager to answer your questions. You now have the ability to post, reply and give "kudos" on the Power Automate community forums. Make sure you conduct a quick search before creating a new post because your question may have already been asked and answered. Galleries: The galleries are full of content and can assist you with information on creating a flow in our Webinars and Video Gallery, and the ability to share the flows you have created in the Power Automate Cookbook.  Stay connected with the Community Connections & How-To Videos from the Microsoft Community Team. Check out the awesome content being shared there today.   Power Automate Community Blog: Over the years, more than 700 Power Automate Community Blog articles have been written and published by our thriving community. Our community members have learned some excellent tips and have keen insights on the future of process automation. In the Power Automate Community Blog, you can read the latest Power Automate-related posts from our community blog authors around the world. Let us know if you'd like to become an author and contribute your own writing — everything Power Automate-related is welcome.   Community Support: Check out and learn more about Using the Community for tips & tricks. Let us know in the Community Feedback  board if you have any questions or comments about your community experience. Again, we are so excited to welcome you to the Microsoft Power Automate community family. Whether you are brand new to the world of process automation or you are a seasoned Power Automate veteran - our goal is to shape the community to be your 'go to' for support, networking, education, inspiration and encouragement as we enjoy this adventure together.     Power Automate Community Team

Hear what's next for the Power Up Program

Hear from Principal Program Manager, Dimpi Gandhi, to discover the latest enhancements to the Microsoft #PowerUpProgram, including a new accelerated video-based curriculum crafted with the expertise of Microsoft MVPs, Rory Neary and Charlie Phipps-Bennett. If you’d like to hear what’s coming next, click the link below to sign up today! https://aka.ms/PowerUp  

Tuesday Tip | How to Report Spam in Our Community

It's time for another TUESDAY TIPS, your weekly connection with the most insightful tips and tricks that empower both newcomers and veterans in the Power Platform Community! Every Tuesday, we bring you a curated selection of the finest advice, distilled from the resources and tools in the Community. Whether you’re a seasoned member or just getting started, Tuesday Tips are the perfect compass guiding you across the dynamic landscape of the Power Platform Community.   As our community family expands each week, we revisit our essential tools, tips, and tricks to ensure you’re well-versed in the community’s pulse. Keep an eye on the News & Announcements for your weekly Tuesday Tips—you never know what you may learn!   Today's Tip: How to Report Spam in Our Community We strive to maintain a professional and helpful community, and part of that effort involves keeping our platform free of spam. If you encounter a post that you believe is spam, please follow these steps to report it: Locate the Post: Find the post in question within the community.Kebab Menu: Click on the "Kebab" menu | 3 Dots, on the top right of the post.Report Inappropriate Content: Select "Report Inappropriate Content" from the menu.Submit Report: Fill out any necessary details on the form and submit your report.   Our community team will review the report and take appropriate action to ensure our community remains a valuable resource for everyone.   Thank you for helping us keep the community clean and useful!

Users online (3,359)