cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Saving attachments from an email file on Sharepoint

Hi all,
We currently use MS Teams and MS Flow to store files. We do this by emailing a file to an MS Teams channel, MS Teams then saves a copy of the email and its attachment to SharePoint. We then use MS Flow to move the attachments to another SharePoint folder for processing.

This worked well but we have a new scenario where a system generates an email with attachment. MS Teams seems to recognise the email is not an inbox and so while it saves the email to SharePoint, it doesnt extract the attachments.

So now we need to add a step to open the email, extract the attachments and save them to a location. There are lots of posts of saving attachments from outlook, but instead how can this be done by opening an .eml file from sharepoint?

Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Re: Saving attachments from an email file on Sharepoint

Hi @KirstyClark ,

Do you want to open an .eml file from SharePoint then extract its attachment?

I am afraid that it is not possible to achieve your scenario. Flow is not able to open an .eml file from SharePoint then to extract its attachments. We could extract email attachments when an email arrives in email box.

You mentioned that “system generates an email with attachment”, will not the email be send to Inbox?

What kind of email it is? Why MS teams cannot recognize the email in Inbox?

Please share more details on this part.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @KirstyClark ,

Do you want to open an .eml file from SharePoint then extract its attachment?

I am afraid that it is not possible to achieve your scenario. Flow is not able to open an .eml file from SharePoint then to extract its attachments. We could extract email attachments when an email arrives in email box.

You mentioned that “system generates an email with attachment”, will not the email be send to Inbox?

What kind of email it is? Why MS teams cannot recognize the email in Inbox?

Please share more details on this part.

Best regards,

Mabel

Community Support Team _ Mabel Mao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi Mabel,

Thanks for clarrifying.  The email is sent to a Microsoft Team's channel, not to a mailbox.  If it is possible to reference the MS Teams Channel as if it's an inbox that may work, but I don't understand that process well enough.

The issue we are having is that normally when an email is sent to the MS Teams channel, MS Teams automatically saves the attachments to sharepoint.  The email address that is sending the email though is not a true mailbox.  I cannot explain this technically, but my technical team at work have advised that it is most likely that MS Teams recognises that the email is coming from an email address that is not a full inbox.  It is just an email used for system generated emails.  MS Teams probably thinks that it is a high security risk and hence doesn't save the attachments separately to the copy of the email. 

I have tested sending the identical email from normal work emails and from my gmail and it detaches the attachments and saves them separately.  It only fails to do this from the system generated emails.

Cheers

Kirsty

Highlighted

Moving the email attachments sent to the teams channel from the email folder created in Sharepoint to another folder in Sharepoint using power automate

Can anybody step me through this process to have the email attachments only moved automatically from the email messages folder created by teams to another folder in the same Sharepoint site.

Highlighted

Hi Kristy,

Would you be able to share the current flow you have set up that you mention in your post for when MS Teams saves an email and its attachment into Sharepoint and then you have a flow setup to move the attachment only to another folder for processing.

Highlighted

I have this exact same issue. 

But this is marked as solved and I do not see what the solution was or where it could be. Where you able to solve this?

Helpful resources

Announcements
firstImage

Super User Program Update

Three Super User rank tiers have been launched!

firstImage

Power Platform 2020 release wave 2 plan

Features releasing from October 2020 through March 2021

firstImage

Join the new Power Virtual Agents Community!

We are excited to announce the launch of Power Virtual Agents Community. Check it out now!

firstImage

New & Improved Power Automate Community Cookbook

We've updated and improved the layout and uploading format of the Power Automate Cookbook!

thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors
Users online (10,312)