cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xansala

Scheduled post in a Teams channel with condition

Hi all,

I am running a Power Bi dashboard and would like to post a message in a Teams channel when the dashboard is refreshed (currently using a scheduled refresh). Unfortunately Power Bi itself only sends an e-mail if the refresh failed. So my idea was to work around that to check every morning if that e-mail of the failed refresh did arrive and if it did not, then to post a teams message that the data was updated.

In MS Flow I cannot find a proper item to do that. My idea was to use the scheduled flow but then I am failing to find an item for Outlook 365 to look for an e-mail.

Does anyone else have built something similar that could be shared? Or is there another idea how to do this conditional post in Teams?

3 REPLIES 3
Jondoesflow
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hey. Could you use a Power BI action in Power Automate and refresh the data set from that action, if that step fails it will email if it doesn’t then send a message to teams ?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/connectors/powerbi/#refresh-a-dataset

Hi Jondoesflow,

Thanks, that is something I have to look into. Still I am struggling to understand what Action would be the right one to use to identify if an e-mail arrived in MS Flow.

Jondoesflow
Helper IV
Helper IV

Hey,

I am not sure you would need to check for the email.

You could create a scheduled flow, and the first action would be to refresh the data set.  Once the data set step has completed successfully, you then post a message to the person/channel that you want to notify. If the refresh doesn't work, then you can send a different message.  I don't think you need to be reliant on the email.

Helpful resources

Announcements
 WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

WHAT’S NEXT AT MICROSOFT IGNITE 2022

Explore the latest innovations, learn from product experts and partners, level up your skillset, and create connections from around the world.

Register for a Free Workshop.png

Register for a Free Workshop

Learn to digitize and optimize business processes and connect all your applications to share data in real time.

Users online (1,674)