cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
hjaf
Level: Powered On

Searching for files in sharepoint (items>list threshold)

I have the file names and a lot of files (50+ k), but I am unable to find them in sharepoint with Flow. I have tried get files (properties only) with filters, but that function does not support pagination. When trying to get items from the library list using get items with pagination set to below the threshold, it still won't allow for the request. I can not understand why it is so difficult to search in sharepoint, I've been trying to work around this for days without success. Search seems like a pretty important function to me, what am I missing?

Any workarounds for this? 

2 REPLIES 2
Super User
Super User

Re: Searching for files in sharepoint (items>list threshold)

Hi @hjaf,

Do all you documents exist in the same library?

You mentioned that you used get items. Have you tried get files instead?

hjaf
Level: Powered On

Re: Searching for files in sharepoint (items>list threshold)

I have spoken to my local IT-service department and they told me that the threshold of indexing lists containing more than 20K items is not possible because it was a limitation of sharepoint/microsoft. This makes no sense as the list limit is 30 million or so.. But I am in no position to argue with them. 

I had to work around this by splitting all data into document-libraries containing no more than 20k files so that I am able to create indexed columns that I can use get-items(list) with 5k pagination. I feel that the flows become needlessly complicated because of this. I am able to search all files through the sharepoint web-ui, so why should I not be able to do search with flow? 

by "get files" I guess you mean get files (properties only)? I have tried this and it returns an 502 Bad Gateway with message: The attempted operation is prohibited because it exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator. i cannot set pagination on this operation either. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
thirdimage

Power Automate Community User Group Member Badge

Fill out a quick form to claim your user group badge now!

firstImage

Incoming: New and improved badges!

We've given our badges an overhaul and also added some brand new ones!

fifthimage

Microsoft Learn

Learn how to build the business apps that you need.

sixthImage

Power Platform World Tour

Find out where you can attend!

seventhimage

Webinars & Video Gallery

Watch & learn from the Power Automate Community Video Gallery!

Top Kudoed Authors
Users Online
Currently online: 434 members 6,668 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: